1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aquascutum coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by sarah1261, Feb 28, 2017.

1. sarah1261

sarah1261 Registered Guest

What would be the date on this coat it has 2 dates on it so not sure, what style of coat would you call it. IMAG0244.jpg IMAG0245.jpg IMAG0246.jpg

2. Hi Sarah, I date this coat to late '60s to very early '70s, which tallies with the date on your label. I also found an article in The Age newspaper, 1967 which mentions the fabric treatment.

One thing that could narrow it down would be a size, as the system changed in '67 in Australia. Does your coat have a size label?

3. sarah1261

Hi it actually does not have any size

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Surely it must be after (or during) 1971? Otherwise how would they have known that they won the Queens Award for Industry in 1971?

5. That's logical, Ruth and my thinking too but I found other coats online with the label that seemed to be late '60s so I wasn't sure.

6. Retro Ruth

7. Thanks Ruth, I wondered if it was something like this.

If I had to narrow the date down, I'd put it around '69-70, in part because it reminds me of this pattern I have from 1969. Not exactly the same, but some similar style elements, especially with the smartness and buttons.

[​IMG]

8. sarah1261

It does look very similar to the pattern you have there actually.

9. robin64

robin64 Registered Guest

It looks 1970s to me. I think earlier it would be shorter length and the pocket design looks 70's.

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I suspect it's more likely to date after 1971, Aquascutum putting 1967-1971 *because* they won it for 5 years in a row, and Aquascutum being a very traditional brand it may not be the height of fashion.
    While I can see the similarity to the pattern Nicole showed, the main difference is this coat has a waist seam, rather than the swing shape. I suspect it will be more fit and flare when modelled. Can you show it on a person or mannequin? failing that showing it fastened in daylight please?
    Also, the care label is translated into a couple of languages, which we know is usually an indication of post 1970 manufacture.

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

My mom had this style coat... purchased at Joseph Magnin's in 1969. It was a high end designer but which I can't recall. Not sure about Australia and other countries but here in the States, pattern styles unless a Vogue pattern were about a couple years behind rack designs.

12. Retro Ruth

They didn't win five years in a row, but they did win in 1966, 1967 and then again 1971 - so that covers the years on the label. I agree it's most likely post 1971, and they created this label after winning the award again in 1971. The award is announced in April, on the Queen's birthday, so it's quite possible it's from later in 1971.

http://www.fashionencyclopedia.com/A-Az/Aquascutum-Ltd.html

13. bubblegumvintage

bubblegumvintage Registered Guest

@Circa Vintage @Pinkcoke @Leonardo da Vintage: could I get your buy in on this Aquascutum coat? It has no reference to the Queens Award, no size label or any other label. It's a heavy wool tweed, buttons are lightweight metal with metal shank and the cut is pretty much straight up and down making me think it's a men's coat.

Attached Files:

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you make a seperate post please Bubblegumvintage and take day light photos? upload as large and as many detailed photos as you can.