1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonnie Cashin

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kreyz, Apr 12, 2004.

1. kreyz

kreyz Registered Guest

About a year ago I found a wonderful Vintage Coach Purse signed by Bonnie Cashin and became interested in her.
    I understand that she is the "inventor"??? of the kiss clasp and you can find a "B" on the hinge pins of her purses. Recently I found four evening bags - gold lame - gold brocade - silver thread - black tafetta and one red leather clutch bag. Each bag has a kiss clasp, and the same "B" with small dots encircling it on the hinge pins. These bags have no other MFG markings and I was curious to know, if you could tell me, if they are in fact Bonnie Cashin Bags?
    I have tried researching on the web but havent come up with anything other than brief history and that she started her own business in 1952 - Bonnie Cashin Designs. Recently there was a Bonnie Cashin Coach Bag on ebay and the seller showed a photo of the hinge pin - it has the same marking as the bags I am inquiring about. I have not seen any other purses or bags other than Coach and would appreciate any help you could give me in researching these bags or any information you may have that would help me in this regard. THANX!

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi Normandy!

Good to 'see' you here :)

I'm just popping in for a minute, and hopefully you will
    get some answers to your query on this.

Sue:)

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Hi, and welcome to VFG.

I'm taking a look for some purses I have, and I'll be right back!

Lizzie

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Hi again, Normandy,

I looked at some bags in my collect that close with kiss-clasp, but I didn't see any Bs at all. So that proves or disproves nothing.

What I do know, and it's very little, is that Cashin did use the kiss closure quite a bit, even in conjunction with other types of closeures in the same bag.

But Lame' and brocade just don't sound "Cashin" to me; Red leather does. Could you possibly post some pictures?

Lizzie

5. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

She did bags for Meyers as well - maybe the "B" are Meyers bags and not Coach ones designed by Bonnie Cashin?

6. kreyz

kreyz Registered Guest

Thanx for your replies. I am not only a Bonnie novice, but a computer novice as well....hope my thanx comes thru......I looked on ebay again last night and found a listing under BC for a red leather bag with no mfg name.....so they are out there...Normandy
    :)