1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating a hand painted lace fan

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Carnivàle, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Carnivàle

Carnivàle Registered Guest

Hello anyone good at dating fans?! So out of my area of knowledge! Bought from the same couple who had the Victorian Whitby jet jewellery so it could be as old as Victorian but equally many of their other items were 20s and 30s. 20s fans seem to have a lot more feathers though!

Wooden with stiff tulle with embroidery type stitching and hand painted decoration. The detail on the wood is carved into it. I'm so sorry if the terms I've used are not correct! Would appreciate your guidance on era and correct terms to use.

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It looks to be a 1890 - 1910ish fan with carved wood ( ebonized?) guards and sticks and a hand painted chiffon leaf. The split in the leaf will affect the value substantially.

Carnivàle likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Wondering if you can show us a close up of the black embroidered areas. It appears to be either a chain/crewel stitch or is it tiny sequins? If it is what it looks like, a chain stitch, that seems much more of a modern technique than Victorian to me, especially along the top edges which seem a bit more casually done. Is the black bow silk?

Also, what is the size of this fan? That can sometimes be a factor in dating it.

While parts of it looks older, I get a more early to mid century Chinese import feel from the embroidery and painted areas. The wooden sticks may have been wheel cut, which is technically hand carved but on a more mass produced scale.

Hard to know for sure. Hollis may be right in her dating.

Carnivàle likes this.
  4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Barbara has a good point - it can be very hard to date these without actually handling them. The style is consistent with the earlier period, but you may want to take it to a local dealer have have them take a look.

Carnivàle likes this.
  5. Carnivàle

Thanks for your help both! Here's a close up pic, not sequins. Chain stitch sounds like the right description. And yes I could believe the wood was a bit more mass produced! The couple had items from Victorian era right up to his mother's 50s mink coats.

I don't believe the ribbon is silk, I may try to do a burn test with it later but I'm generally terrible at them! Don't have a very good nose it appears!

And yes it's a real shame about the tear. I suspect I may keep this for myself and try and do as sympathetic a repair as I can.

Not sure of any dealers who would know around here but I'll asp about. Thank you so much both!

Attached Files:

6. Carnivàle

Oh I didn't answer the size query - it's 32 1/2" across the top when folded out as one might use it. The guard is 13 1/2" long. Is that any help?