1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating help - Original Victorian or Theatrical Costume

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hi, I was wondering if you could please offer me some help with a piece which I recently picked up.

The piece in question is a two piece dress in a rather lovely dark red, floral flecked(I can't for the life of me remember it's name now).

It seems very much in the style of an 1860s gown, only I'm stuck wondering whether it's in fact an old theatrical version of one. Firstly, because it's in such excellent condition(with minimal, if any, wear) and secondly, because the boning(which could, I suppose, have been replaced/added in at a later date - I say this as there were a couple of places which were left unfinished) is quite crude and plastic.

This said, it's incredibly tiny(wouldn't fit on me, with a 32" bust, 28" underbust and 24" waist), hence the lack of pictures of it worn(the one in which I tried to get it on is mildly hilarious, but rather embarassing).

I've added in a few photos, but will gladly grab more if needed. Thanks ever so much in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    cmpollack likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello, and thanks for sharing that with us here. It looks like an original antique dress from what I can see in the photos.

Are you sure the boning is plastic? Because of course they did not have plastic back in those days. It might be that someone, very long ago, replaced the boning, possibly an historical society or very small museum did it if they ever used it for a display.

Can you show a photo of the boning in close up?

Lily K.Chadwick and cmpollack like this.
  3. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

It looks antique to me too. These are whale baleen stays or "bones," often mistaken for plastic. They were used because they were very flexible but strong and came in large plates that were easy to split or cut into needed sizes. Other than horn, which was very little used, I can't think of anything else that would resemble plastic.

DSCN7114.jpg

Lily K.Chadwick and cmpollack like this.
  4. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Thanks so much for your replies Barbara and Lynne, they're much appreciated!
    And having seen your picture, it seems that that's exactly what they are! Will try to get some pictures in the morning of the one which is exposed(from memory, it has a lighter streak along it, if that's consistent with baleen?).

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Lynne, that was what I was thinking too. That they might be whane "boning" or baleen.

Marzilli_Vintage likes this.