1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating mens pin stripe wool trousers with Police Suspenders

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by samoon, Oct 27, 2014.

1. samoon

samoon Registered Guest

Please help need to date these mens heavy wool pin stripe button fly trousers they have no marks except what I believe is the size stamped under inside pocket the suspenders were attached when I found them thanks for any information I recently found a few vintage and antique clothing items at a garage sale would love to know about them thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

HI Samoon,
    The braces are wonderful and definitely vintage. Something about your trousers though is making me wonder.
    The belt loops are not right at all, they shouldn't be there. I suspect your trousers are from a professional stage costume made in the 70's ( 70's does 40's for instance) . I have seen this before in costume stores where suits they had made in the 70's have things like belt loops on the trousers.
    Of course this is just my opinion!
    The finish of the front of the waistband also looks more like a costume to me.
    If you can post another photo of the trousers from the back it would help . :)

3. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I agree...trousers seem more recent. The backing of the waist seems newer. The trousers could have belt loops (and still have buttons for braces) if older but that wider waistband, the slant of the pockets, and even that very flat trouser front say late 60s or 70s to me. Could be a costume or part of a gangster look suit that made a bit of a comeback during the 70s. I would bet these had a matching double breasted jacket with wide lapels.

4. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

If you are going to post more photos could also post some photos of the pocket fabric and the fly buttons? I just want to make sure we are steering you in the right direction.

5. sewingmachinegirl

I agree Maureen that the waistband seems a little wide, and that the backing seems more recent :USETHUMBUP:

6. samoon

samoon Registered Guest

Thanks so much for your replies I can usually date items like these but These are very very thick wool not what you think you would see in the 70s I thought they may actually be a uniform pant but I'm not very knowledgable here are some more photos I knew the family they were not into costume or theater but they could have added these they came from a 92 yr old estate that had a garage sale

Attached Files:

7. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Ya know..I have to say...I am second guessing myself a bit I wish I just had these in my hand. Lol. There are wide waisted trouser examples from 30s and 40s even with flat fronts so I guess will wait to see more photos before rendering final verdict.

8. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Seeing those photos I am going to reverse myself and say those are 1930s/1940s trousers that likely had a matching jacket at some point. With better photos could probably narrow it down further.

Thanks for the additional photos. Those first photos definitely gave me pause but your closeups make me feel they are earlier.

9. samoon

samoon Registered Guest

I will try to get some clearer photos and post them tomorrow thanks so much for your replies, I'm pretty good with women's vintage but I'm. Totally lost when it comes to mens lol!

10. I think they could be '30s-40s trousers that have been altered: the cotton waistband facing doesn't look sufficiently old, and the white overlocking on the seams looks like it could be post-manufacture: perhaps these are old trousers that were updated to current fashions at some time in the last fifty years? It's not uncommon for those large, loose styles to be trimmed to a leaner leg.

I agree with Maureen: if you could feel these in your hand you'd soon know the truth of them. Your description of heavy wool sounds much more like the early styles, as '60s-70s revival styles were generally wool and polyester mixes, and therefore lighter.

11. sewingmachinegirl

I am still in the 70's camp personally, they just don't look right to me for 30's-40's. The serging/overlocking look very wrong for the period as do the fly buttons.
    It is possible they have been altered for sure as Nicole has suggested.
    And they did have heavy wool in the 70's of course, I have worked with suits from the 70's in chalk stripes and such.
    We shall keep debating and find an answer I am sure :)

12. I agree Gayle - costume trousers in the '70s used heavy wool and you're right also about the style and construction details. These trousers show aspects of both eras.

Personally, I always side with the most recent potential date as the odds tend to favour it.

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I am thinking early 40s. That button fly and inseam watch pocket push me that way, as do the belt loops and suspenders buttons. Of course , the button could be a later add. The leg looks too full for 70s, and button flys weren't popular for dress pants at that time, at least in the USA.

14. samoon

samoon Registered Guest

Here are a few more pictures after reading all the comments Im inclined to think that these are 40s era but have had an alteration in the top half the white stitching is only in the seat to gusset area and runs just down on the inside of the thigh area but not all the way down it is not anywhere else please take a look and see if I'm close Thanks!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

15. sewingmachinegirl

Of course that could be it Hollis- I was thinking they had been made as a costume though- not for street wear, you know 70's does 40's etc etc........

16. sewingmachinegirl

:)
    Hi Samoon, those pics help a lot. The lining and construction does look possibly 40's, so I am now in the camp with the rest of the team- that they could be 40's and altered later on