1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did You Know In 1952...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by vintageclothes-line, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Just got my <b>Reminisce</b> magazine and thought I would share.

<b>1952

A Few Prices:</b>
    Postage, first class, 3 cents
    Gasoline, 27 cents a gallon
    Chinese dinner, $1.50
    Folding TV Table, $2.95
    Canary, $9.95
    Bulova Watch, $27.50
    Annual Income, $3,660

<b>New in '52</b>
    >Gleem toothpaste
    >Magic Marker, felt-tip marker
    >Mad magazine
    >Mr. Potato Head
    >Mrs. Paul's fish sticks
    >Diet soft drinks
    >Holiday Inns
    >Cinerama
    >Tony the Tiger, Gr-r-reat!

<b>Popular TV Shows:</b>

The Red Skelton Show
    I Love Lucy
    Talent Scouts
    Texaco Star Theater
    Mama
    The Colgate C omedy Hour
    Gangbusters
    You Bet Your Life
    Fireside Theatre
    The Jack Benny Program

<b>Also TV premieres were:</b>

Dragnet
    The Jackie Gleason Show
    I've Got A Secret
    This Is Your Life
    Ozzie and Harriet
    I Married Joan
    Death Valley Days
    My Little Margie

<b>News:</b>

In Great Britain, King George VI dies. He had succeeded to the throne in 1936 upon the abdication of his brother King Edward VIII, who left to marry American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. King George's daughter, HRH Princess Elizabeth, and her husband, Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, are on their way to a tour of Australia and New Zealand when she becomes queen.

Dr. Jonas Salk invents and begins testing a vaccine against polio, also known as infantile paralysis. The discovery comes as the US reports the worst polio epidenic in its history..57,628 cases. In the 1930s, '40s and early '50s, the specter of polio increasingly changed the way children lived and played in the US group activities were discouraged in efforts to curb the spread of the communicable disease. Children stricken with polio were placed in iron lungs..the large metal canisters that surrounded the body from the neck down and used air pressure to help force air in and out of the lungs.

<b>Popular Books:</b>
    Fiction:
    The Silver Chalice
    The Caine Mutiny
    East of Eden
    My Cousin Rachel
    Steamboat Gothic
    Giant
    The Old Man and the Sea

Nonfiction:
    The Holy Bible, Revised Standard Version
    A Man Called Peter
    USA Confidential
    The Sea Around Us
    Tallulah
    The Power of Positive Thinking
    This I Believe
    This is Ike

<b>Academy Award Winners:</b>

A Streetcar Named Desire
    Vivian Leigh
    An American In Paris
    Gene Kelly

<b>Popular Songs:</b>

Don't Let the Stars Get In Your Eyes
    The Glow Worm
    Wish You Were Here
    A Guy Is a Guy
    You Belong To Me
    Half as Much
    The Wheel of Fortune
    Blue Tango
    Kiss of Fire
    Why Don't you Believe Me
    Anywhere I Wander
    High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)
    I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Interesting! thanks for posting, Linda.

I wonder what Gangbusters was. Maybe a gameshow? that's one i don't recognize

I didn't know iron lungs were still used then...i thought they were no longer by that year.

My father met Jonas Salk on numerous occasions and my parents have met his wife. Interesting trivia...Mrs. Salk (now widow) is a very interesting lady. I am not sure if she is still alive, but I think so. She was the only woman to have dumped Pablo Picasso.

3. BarbaraVilliers

BarbaraVilliers Registered Guest

Interesting period the early 50's. I was watching an old movie Night Of The Demon (made around that time) and I was struck by the charm of the planes, the lovely houses, the gorgeous Pullman trains and the clothes. I think that in many ways society has gone backwards rather then making progress. Most things of today are so tacky and badly designed.
    Louise

4. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

My Gpa was just saying that he traded in his Cadillac in the 50s when gas went up to 27 cents a gallon, so he could get a more fuel efficient Volkswagon.

Weird.

5. Gosh and look at the gas prices now! Ours is about $2.50 a gallon here now.:(

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't think postage stamps went up much for years! I vaguely remember them hitting a nickle in the mid-late 1960s and my parents thinking the world was going to hell in a hand cart!

Interesting about felt markers -- who knew? I thought they were from the 1960s!

Cool info. I love stuff like this -- fascinating and completely useless information

7. Maybe I will come up with some more useless but fun information for another year soon.:P

8. ourbabyroo

ourbabyroo Registered Guest

Here too. :( I got gas the other day and realized this is the MOST that I have paid for gas in the 22 years I have been driving!! When we moved to Tennessee 5 years ago, we were paying less than 1/2 of that - about $1.10 to 1.20/gallon.

(I also love this useless but fun information!

:hysterical: )

9. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

what's missing on this list, is that I am so used to thinking of Elvis having hits all in the 50s...but he must have been a few years later than this and hadn't quite come on the scene yet.