1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you heard of Daure wool?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by claireshaeffer, Mar 7, 2017.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The double cloth fabric on one of Chanel suits is Daure wool. Have you heard of Daure?

wyogems likes this.
  2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I have only done a cursory search for an answer for you, but I was intrigued by this reference:

DaurePierreWool.jpg

3. claireshaeffer

Lynne, that's very interesting. This is a 1971 Chanel suit and the fabric is identified only as Daure wool. It is double-faced, but only one side is used on the suit.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I found this as well, Claire. This has the address. It's from a 1967 edition of L'officiel de la mode magazine.

http://patrimoine.editionsjalou.com/lofficiel-de-la-mode-recherche-13.html

if you put Daure into the search bar in the above link it does state it comes up 65 times but it's not easy to read the fine print text that shows up on these pages.

I will have to go back in and do a print screen as I can see the link does not bring you to the proper page.

Here it is from a print screen for you - 1st image top of page and 2nd image the list of addresses for these special textile houses. Daure is the 2nd to last address - Daure, 17, rue paul-lelong, 236 09-01.

Daure address 1.jpg

Daure Address.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  5. claireshaeffer

When I read the address, I thought alas a French fabric house. Then I noticed Dormeuil which I'm pretty sure is English. I have some old, but not 70s, Collectioni--I'll try that. Thanks for the update.

6. claireshaeffer

I don't find anything in Collectioni--my collection isn't old enough.

I did find Eleanor Lambert's book 1975 on the book shelf. Nothing about Daure, but a lot of interesting info about designers world-wide. Remind me when you're looking for info about designers prior to 1975 to look in her book. It's on the 2nd shelf.

I interview her and she was very disappointed that the publisher had not revised the book. It would have been nice.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is another (blurry) L'officiel reference to Pierre Daure's wool, from a 1971 issue of the magazine:
    DaurePierreWool1971.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...and one more 1971 L'officiel blurb (Note: two mentions):
    DaurePierreWool1971Coat.jpg

9. claireshaeffer

Thank you Lynne. Very helpful. C

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I wrote to Matthew who lives in France and asked him if he could French google for Pierre Daure. Of course he doesn't have Lynne's skills. Here is what he wrote back -

I'm afraid I struck out. The only Pierre Daure I could find was a physics professor who then was in the resistance during WWII and went into public service after the war. Tantalizingly, he was born in Mazamet, which is a center of the wool and leather industry, but there doesn't seem to be any link between him and fashion or textiles. His field in physics was something to do with optics.

I googled every combination I could think of of Pierre Daure or Pierre Dauré with textile, wool and fashion and didn't get anything other than that guy.

Maybe this guy was Pierre Daure Jr. and his father was something to do with textiles, but I can't find any record of that.

lkranieri likes this.
  11. claireshaeffer

That's interesting!

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

After reading Amanda's helpful post I went to Google.fr and tried searching there, although I don't speak French. I found the 1969 reference below, then copied the teaser bit of text, put it in the translator, and you can see the English translation in the bottom right half of the image. As Yul Brynner said (wow, does that date me), "Is a puzzlement."

IMG_6192.JPG

13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

14. claireshaeffer

I think we can with confidence say that Daure fabrics were high end silks and wools used in the haute couture. How does that sound?