1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having trouble dating G.A. Dunn & Co. vests

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by UAVLauren, Jun 2, 2014.

1. UAVLauren

UAVLauren Registered Guest

So I have new information! I was relying on information from my business partner about the waistcoats, and Leonardo da Vintage, you were in fact right. The waistcoats, although they share the same Dunn & Co. labels, do have different sub (?) labels. I'll attach the photos. The darker, more muted, waistcoat has the Dress McDonald label and the more vibrant red one has a label that says "100% wool, Royal Stewart, Made in Scotland."

Another note, I researched McDonald clan tartans and found that I could only see "MacDonald" tartans. The label does clearly say McDonald, and essentially it is the same name save for the a..but now I'm wondering if there is a difference.

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. UAVLauren

Upon further investigation of the Royal Stewart label I found this on the Royal Stewart tartan...

The Royal Stewart tartan is the best known tartan of the royal House of Stewart, and is also the personal tartan of Queen Elizabeth II. It is appropriate for all subjects of Elizabeth II to wear the Royal Stewart tartan,[1] in much the same way that clansmen may wear the tartan of their clan chief.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Well now it all makes sense!

Yes Royal Stewart is a very well known tartan. So one maker, two tartans, and now we can be certain that the second label refers to the fabric.

Re MacDonald vs McDonald, it is more commonly spelt with an a (especially in Scotland, I think) but it can spelt either way, and still refers to the same clan:

http://www.clandonald-heritage.com/

You will see that the 'muted' version I put an image of earlier in this thread, is written without the a.

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  4. UAVLauren

Wondeful! So glad to finally know where and (around) when these lovely waistcoats have come from. Thank you all!