1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating a 012 Benetton girl's? blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Pinkcoke, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I originally thought this was 80's, with the ditsy floral print, puff sleeves and retro 50's look but the UK trademark was only registered in 1991 so it must be at least 90's. The trademark is still in force and since it's later than I originally though I'm now wondering how recent could it be? I'd like your thoughts on how old it is please. It's labelled with a tag that says XL on one side and 1 on the other. Is this child andadult US sizing? There are no bust darts but it's kind of oversized and fits like a modern UK 8-12 but with slim arms and neck. Made in Italy, the brand label has an Italian flag and one other, I don't know what the connection with these is...
    DSCF2024.JPG
    DSCF2023.JPG DSCF2041.JPG DSCF2043.JPG

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I used to shop at Benetton quite a bit, ca. from the mid- to late 90s onwards to the early 00s. If I wanted something "nice", this is where I went. The labels I recall didn't look like this anymore, they were already the bigger labels in the style that they still use - no nice woven fabric labels like here anymore (though the quality of the clothes was still very good then). I do remember that Benetton logo and that particular script being around though just from seeing it on ads etc when I was younger - could well have been in the late 80s. Just looking at this, I would probably have put this in the 80s too. However, Benetton always had "classic" looking items too, they weren't just doing the latest trends.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  3. Here's the label from a jacket I have, that is late '80s to early '90s.

Benetton.jpg

We don't have an entry in the Label Resource for Benetton. I think it would be a good addition, as they're a prolific label.

Melanie, your top is a confusing one: surely that can't be an XL size? I can't help you on date, sorry - that cutesy collar trimmed in ric rac is something that we've seen fairly recently but I'd like it to be older. I didn't see anything like that in the '90s, sorry.

4. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

012 was (and still is) Benetton's children wear. The "012 Benetton" line was created in 1972.
    From the mid-60s to mid-80s Benetton trademark logo was the green link-stitch symbol, called 'Punto Maglia'.
    Then in 1989 they dropped the "link-stitch" symbol and changed their logo into "United Colors of Benetton".

I think this adorable blouse dates back to mid/late 80s, possibly '87/'88 I would guess. Post-1989, would have "United Colors of Benetton" printed somewhere I think.
    The size would be girl's XL, approx a teenage girl size? Not too sure what "1" stands for, maybe refers to the bust size?

Julie

5. Great info Julie: you know your stuff.

I cringe at the idea of putting "XL" on a child's size though: surely a company couldn't be that cruel? I do like the idea of the blouse being '80s though, much more than '90s.

6. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

I know! Although Benetton still has kids clothing size guide S to XXL!

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I agree, and would have one to add.

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Well, I guess they have to show the size somehow! I was a "hefty" girl - that was painful. (My dear parents said I was "pleasantly plump.")

sewingmachinegirl likes this.
  9. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

We can only start an entry if someone donates a label.
    Nobody has donated any labels from Benetton yet~

10. You're welcome to my label above - I now know it's no earlier than 1989. Off to sleep now but I can post it to the label thread in the morning.

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I will add my label to the label thread, at some point. Mine is earlier 80s, maybe even late 70s, I will some help on dating it, I've not been quite sure of it's age. I've been meaning to do this for ages, to submit it to the label resource.

I know you need to have it on that thread, to add it to the resource.

Nicole and Melanie, why not add yours to the label thread and then we can get the ball rolling.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  12. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thank you all that's great. So the consensus is late 80's?
    I assumed 012 stood for 0 to 12 years, as by 13 you're pretty much into small adult sizes. This blouse is 38" chest and I'm 34" for comparison, but it looks about right, it's just the openings that are a bit small, so that would make sense for a younger person.
    The number 1 could be unrelated to size - could be a machinist - lot number etc.

I know it's not compulsory to show it but I wonder if the lact of TM on my label indicates it's pre-91? Do you have any later examples Karin? are they marked TM?
    That's a good point about the woven labels.

13. Midge

I probably have two Benetton T-shirts left in my closet... will go and have a look, may post one as a modern example for the Label Resource. I sold my last Benetton jacket after buying so many vintage jackets that I didn't wear it anymore :)...

14. Midge

Sorry - I cut the care/size label out of the shirt, it was too scratchy... only the little green Benetton label left.