1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating Adolfo silk top

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by morninglemon, Mar 11, 2015.

1. morninglemon

morninglemon Registered Guest

Hi all, I have this Adolfo blouse listed for sale and based on the historical research I've done on the label, I guessed it is from the late 1960s/early 1970s. However, I've been kept up the past few nights thinking about the pleated balloon sleeves and off-the-shoulder style, and rethinking it may be early 1980s instead. It does not have shoulder pads or anything structure-wise at the shoulders. The zipper is metal. I purchased it as part of a formal eveningwear set because I loved the skirt and I am keeping it (in fact it's at the tailor now being rehemmed for life as a midi skirt) but the top is too big for me. The only label is the one in the photo; no care label is present. The skirt had a size label, which was a 4 (I'm a modern 00/0, which is another reason why I think this item is later than I think it is - I normally would take a 10 in 1960s vintage bottoms). Any help would be appreciated.

adolfo1.jpg
    adolfo2.jpg
    adolfo3.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Do you have a photo of the matching skirt?

3. morninglemon

Unfortunately no, since I never intended to sell the skirt.
    If it helps, the skirt was a ball-gown type skirt with pockets. It had an attached waist tie of a wide grosgrain ribbon. The closure was a metal fastener and zipper. It is completely lined with a thin batting sandwiched between the silk and the lining (I assume for the skirt fabric, which is dupioni silk).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. I think it would be helpful to see the skirt and the top, as worn.

The construction is good quality '60s or '70s but and the label matches a '70s one in the LR. I won't rule out early '80s though. On the available information, I suspect it's late '70s but it's hard to see the silhouette.

5. morninglemon

Here's a grainy photo of me in the whole outfit at home after I got it. Please don't laugh at how absurdly large the top is and long the skirt is!

outfit.jpg

6. Thank you! Interesting outfit, I vote early '70s now.

7. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

I am weeping quietly at skirt and top being separated.

8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree. Would you considering altering the top so you could wear them together?

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  10. morninglemon

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone.
    Unfortunately, the top is not my style. I considered it before I took the skirt to the tailor for alterations but at the end of the day it's not something I'd wear. I'd much rather pass it on to someone who can find a use for it rather than have it sit in my closet for years not getting any love or use.