Help Dating Brocade Dress and Materials

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by brooke1178, Feb 28, 2012.

1. brooke1178

brooke1178 Registered Guest

Hello everyone!
    I need help with the date. I know its brocade but does it have a specific name. Also, what is the fabric underneath? Also, how are the white elastic bands on inside of bodice used? I cannot figure it out!
    Thank so much! Again!

Brocade Gold Dress MM 4.jpg Brocade Gold Dress MM 5-1.jpg Brocade Gold Dress MM 7.jpg Brocade Gold Dress MM 8.jpg Brocade Gold Dress MM 9.jpg Brochade Gold Dress1 MM.jpg Brocade Gold Dress MM 4-1 frontal number 2.jpg

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Very pretty. It looks 1950's - early 1960's to me. The yellow fabric on the interior appears to be organdy or organza - could be silk, or nylon or another fiber, you'd have to test it. The fabric is brocade, (a type of jacquard weave,) and this kind type of brocade is sometimes referred to as damask, - especially when it's reversible. Can't help with the elastic straps. I can't tell where they "start" - is it near the shoulders?

3. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

The elastic straps hook around back so the neckline will stay anchored and not gape when the person bends forward. It's an old dressmakers trick and it works very well.

Melody

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks, Melody!

Linn

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The brocade is probably rayon. That old bugaboo again - weave and fiber content. Brocade could be made of silk, wool, cotton, etc.
    Marian

6. bycin

bycin Guest

What a pretty dress and color. Love the color!

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Gorgeous dress, I was going to say the elastic is the same as the modern backless (or low back) bra straps you can buy, except they have the bra hooks & bra fastener at the back to go on an existing bra.

8. brooke1178

Thanks!!! Its in such amazing condition too! Yes, the straps start at the front shoulders. Do they criss cross in the back. Maybe the dress is missing part of the hook and eye closure because the straps are long.

9. brooke1178

Wait. I am confused. hahahha!

10. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

They go round the sides, cross at the back and secure at the stomach.

The use Melody described is correct, it does the same thing on a dress neckline or bra, holds it in place.

11. brooke1178

That is very interesting information. Thank you very much. I would have never thought it secured at the stomach!