1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dress please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vintagemama, Oct 5, 2009.

1. vintagemama

vintagemama Registered Guest

not sure of the year or type of these 2 dresses , any help is very appreciated. thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vintagemama

woah sorry they turned out pretty big

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

If you click on edit, you can go back in and add this phrase"width=450" minus the quotes to the html for the photo right before the [/img] at the end. Separate the beginning of the word width from the end of the photo url by one space. Click on preview to make sure you've got it right before re-posting.

4. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Both look 50s...never seen H-Bar-C dress!!

Ang

5. vintagemama

ok , I corrected the pictures.

6. vintagemama

thank you mags rags

7. vintagemama

thanks doretha, I was thinking 50s. Not quite sure of what to call them though
    Any ideas. Would the first one be a mexican style.? not sure.

any ideas?

8. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

You're welcome!

They both have that squaw/patio dress vibe. I'm thinking the H-Bar-C might be early 60s. The red dress looks a bit like a more modern square dance dress, but that tag looks earlier and it's got nicer detailing than the newer dresses.

10. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

yep i was thinking 50s on the red one,,, thought the term may not be correct I see theses all the time on ebay as mexican square dance dress,,, and the yellow one would be more of a western square dance dress

I think early 60s maybe late 50s on the yellow one,.. but I get a 60s vibe... but I am still a guesser on here lol. I have not handeled one of these yet so I am guessing off of ebay exploration..... I love the yellow one!

11. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

These are both really great dresses, and I think the yellow one is early 60's, too! FWIW.... I wouldn't say it's a square-dance dress; looks more like a dress one would wear to a "Western ho-down or hootenany" thingy, maybe to dance in but not a square dance. Definitely something a gal would wear to the rodeo to watch her beau ride those broncos or cut them barrels. I can see that with a wide-brim hat and shortie gloves. Patio dress is a good term for it, too, for a patio party!

12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen dresses like these befor, but would have gone with 50s too, just a feeling. They are soooo cute!

Karin

13. missproper

missproper Alumni

Great dresses! Super cute! :)

14. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

we've had a couple of H Bar C dresses before and did very well with them; I would suggest saving them for late January/early February for pre VLV.

just an idea.

15. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

The red boho ethnic square dance dress has 60s written all over it to me, I know the skirt shape looks very 50s but the trim screams 60s to me (I'm new at this and Canadaian fashion seems to be a few years behind - at least where I'm at anyways - so my early 60s is most likely late 50s lol) - your H bar C label is the exact same as one on a pair of pants I had thought were 70s - again the dress looks 60s to me - early 60s, maybe my pants are misdated...hmmm lol, darn I wish I were a member I could ask about them then (since they're listed) - those are both beautiful dresses though, gorgeuos!

16. I LOVE the yellow dress. It is very rockabilly, in the purest sense of the word. Very feminine with a western touch. I would describe it as a western sun dress; Anne is right, it is not a square dance dress. Looks late 50's to early 60's. I agree with Mary and think it would be very desireable for VLV.

I am thinking the same datewise for the red dress. Did these come from the same person?

I believe that both of these are just normal westernwear/ranchwear worn by women who prescribed to that lifestyle. My mother used to buy a lot of her clothing at the local western wear shop back in our hometown in Oregon when I was a teenager. It all had a decidedly western look to it and was popular due to where we lived. There were many farms and country music was very popular. This is likely just the 50's/60's version of that style.

A great find as they are out of the ordinary and once again, that yellow one is just lovely!!

17. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

What is a square dance dress technically? I don't know what is proper for them... I just know i see ebayers use it all the time for anything western in appearance that is why I suggested it......

so for some insight what are the differences in squaw, western, mexican and square?
    thanks

18. You pose a good question with this this. The fact is that any of these dresses could be used for square dancing, but they are not solely square dancing dresses. The squaw dress and patio sets would be completely accepted on the square dance floor but could be worn on their own out and about in day to day life too.

The red squaw dress at the top of this page could have been used for square dancing in the 1950's or it may have been used as a summer dress in a more rural America; as may be the case with many other Native American or Western inspired dresses. For the longest time square dancing was a major social gathering very popular in rural America and the dance was thought of as a historical American tradition, as such the dresses commonly worn would reflect that, hence the western look.

That being said, when you label a dress as a square dancing dress, it refers to a dress that is specifically made for square dancing. These are often covered in ric rac and gingham with a higher hemline and full skirt with ruffles. Cute, but often with an over the top mock old west look and feel. These dresses are used pretty much only for square dancing and are not something that would be worn for any other reason.

So while many western look dresses could have been worn to a square dance, not all western look dresses are square dancing dresses. After all people who dress in that western style need a variety of clothing just like the next person and while much of it would have a very western appearance, most of it was not used just for dancing.

Hopefully this wasn't all too confusing :puzzled: . There are a great many articles about square dancing attire on the internet that you could read if you want to reseach further into the topic :scratchchin: .

19. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

awesome... thank you... that makes perfect sense.....square dance dress = modern club dresses lol true more modest but a similar concept.... thank you.

Ilooked it up briefly but found more on dresses people were labeling as square dance dressesthan I did actal information, but it was a brief search, nothing in depth.

Thanks again.... of to add to my "vintage glossary" lol