1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with fabric ID - Heavy Floral

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

Hi once again,
    This time I was hoping with some help with the fabric on an Italian dress I recently picked up (labelled Simonetta).
    Though the gown has a satin underlay, the upper layer is made up of what I can only describe as a what appears to be an embroidered floral brocade cutwork, however I'm far from sure on this, so was hoping for some help in better describing/identifying it?

(The gown's not yet arrived, so the photos' credit belongs to the seller.)

Thanks in advance,
    Lily

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. Hi Lily, it's hard to see what's happening in the photos, but it looks like the fabric might be made of a nylon ribbon that has been embellished into floral shapes - so it's a type of lace I guess. Unusual.

3. Lily K.Chadwick

Hi Nicole, thanks ever so much for your answer! Having had another look at the photos (I'll be trying to get clearer ones - on a light background - when it arrives), I think you may well be right. It's quite an unusual design (have included one shot of it below, where I don't believe it's sitting quite right), so I think I may be back for help on how to best present it once it arrives.

Kindest regards,
    Lily

Attached Files:

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Lily K.Chadwick

Thanks Mary Jane! I've had a wonderful time over the last couple of days browsing through some of her designs! It having, alongside the Simonetta, a label indicating the customer name and order code, made me think it may be one of her couture pieces (in which case, I was thinking it may be worth searching out a professional conservator to do the minor fixes it requires to the belt)?

Kind regards,
    Lily

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017