1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it illegal to sell vintage Cheetah & seal fur ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by love4vintage, Oct 16, 2009.

1. love4vintage

love4vintage Registered Guest

Hi! Wondering if anyone knows how to sell real cheetah fur pieces or seal fur. I see ebay is not an option, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thank you!

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

As far as endangered species go - more or less yes. The reason that you can't sell them on ebay is beyond just a rule ebay decided on. it is illegal to sell them over state or international lines and you wouldn't be able to avoid that there. That being said, it would also not be legal to sell them on the internet in general. In researching before, there are some cases where the items can change hands locally, as long as they can be proven to be over 50 (i think its 50) years old - but you must have real documentation such as the original receipt or say an insurance rider with a photo if someone put it on their homeowner's insurance way back then. In other words, a modern assessment of age would not work.

It is totally fine and legal to own it, pass it down to a family member, or donate it.

Also, every year HSUSA collects old furs for the coats for cubs program. They use them to rehabilitate injured and orphaned wildlife. The fur pieces help them do it with giving the babies limited human contact so they stay wild (putting them on the fur with a heated water bottle behind it and a bottle through it to imitate "mom", etc. You may want to consider that if the coat is damaged or you just have some pieces, etc.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

You might want to check online because the rules vary according to where you are. As far as Cheetah goes, I think it has an international ban, but I read it was only post 1983 or some year around there, when the ban began that limited its trade, Cheetah coats before that date could be sold. You would have to prove its age (an evaluation from a third party, like a furrier, museum curator etc. is considered proof of age for authorities). With seal it depends on the species. Harp seal is the most protected, ringed and harbour seal is more common and not protected at all if you are a Native Inuit or Eskimo. If you are not Native, then you need to have the fur identified by an expert before transporting. The laws are usually in regard to the transportation of the fur not its sale.

4. Patentleathershoes

I guess what I was thinking is that if it is sold to someone far away, it has to be transported - therefore it is illegal to sell. Maybe that is why local sale is sometimes admissable. I guess I was also thinking of harp seal when she said seal.

Has that changed as far as proof? A couple years ago I read that you had to have period documentation - so an appraiser etc would suffice nowadays?

Why did I think cheetah was endangered before then - maybe because they were driven to dwindling numbers by the popular coats of the 60s?

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think it all has to do with your local rules and it seems to vary from state to state in the US. I think fur rules are national in Canada... its so confusing. I looked up leopard and the international rule was 1983 or 1977 or some date like that, when the ban was placed, and I assume Cheetah was around the same time. With seal, I think eBay put a ban on all seal, but it really does depend on the type - the seal hunt continues up north every year but I think its ringed, or is it spotted seal that is allowed... I have forgotten now, it might be ringed and harp are two protected species but spotted isn't.... I don't remember...

Also, as I discoverd with my import of python 1940s shoes - its not about what is banned or not, its about what you have paid for the right to export. Its a total scam actually.

6. Shygarden

Shygarden Alumni

Harp seals aren't protected - they are hunted here.

7. love4vintage

hello again, thanks for information so far, its nice to talk with others in the know. The seal fur I have is a full length, brown, Labrador Seal coat, not in great condition, but the fur has such a high gloss sheen, (its pretty fur). The Cheetah fur is not a coat, but the coolest fur muff Ive seen, its rather large & Im guessing it to be around 1900s (maybe?) It also has a matching wide fur collar. Oh well, I guess there is no easy answer to selling these pieces, but I certainly am very greatful for the help. Best to you!!
    Thanks again

8. I am confused, as I see a lot of people selling vintage 1940s and older seal coats all over the web. Also, the vintage leopard muffs and hats with trimmings.

9. elvenom

elvenom Registered Guest

I have what I think is a seal fur. Its black and glossy. Someone told me it was seal but I dont know what type of seal. I didnt know what to do w/ it so I havent sold it. But was thinking of selling it on Etsy. ??

10. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

In my experience the vintage leapard muffs and swing coats are usually faux fur.

11. love4vintage

Yes, most usually are faux, but this is most defintely the real thing, guess Ill have to try to sell it local, or just keep it.

12. Also, every year HSUSA collects old furs for the coats for cubs program. They use them to rehabilitate injured and orphaned wildlife. The fur pieces help them do it with giving the babies limited human contact so they stay wild (putting them on the fur with a heated water bottle behind it and a bottle through it to imitate "mom", etc. You may want to consider that if the coat is damaged or you just have some pieces, etc.[/quote]

I agree! Coats for Cubs is an incredible charity. :dogs:I donate all of my furs here. It is a great way to give the furs back to the animals if that is the direction that you decide to take.

Coats for Cubs

13. Patentleathershoes

Newer ones are, yes. But there are a lot of them that aren't -once people saw Jackie Kennedy wore one, they had to have them. That's what put them on the endangered species list because of all the hunting.