1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lining Straps / Ribbons in Vintage Wool Cashmere Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GinaM, Feb 16, 2017.

1. GinaM

GinaM Registered Guest

There was a similar old post, but I never saw an actual answer to it. I have a vintage wool cashmere coat. There are two fabric strips, same material as the lining, attached to the right lining armhole and wondering what they are for. Also there's a knot string on the left armhole and wondering if something was attached there, but it's not the same as the other side. Thanks.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hello and welcome.

Assuming the armscye is very low, I think the sashes may be ties. The string on the opposite side would have been a loop (now undone) for the one of the sashes to pass through to tie off with its twin. Not unusual for coats or dressing gowns, but normally the sashes are lower down - waist level.

3. Yes, I concur with Deborah: the interior sashes secure the coat on the inside through the loops. They are unusually high so may have been lower originally, although I'm not sure why you'd move them. If the coat has labels, you should search for similar coats to see where their ties are located.

4. GinaM

GinaM Registered Guest

Thank you, Deborah and Nicole. The sashes/strips are approx. 12" and they don't seem long enough to wrap around at that position. And the coat does not appear to be altered. What would they wrap around? No tag to find something similar.

5. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

I just asked about something similar in a 30s opera coat here. I have attached a picture with how I tied mine. The interior ties on mine are also about 12" and tie to a loop on the opposite side of the coat. They are then covered when you button the coat. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

lkranieri likes this.
  6. GinaM

GinaM Registered Guest

Thanks, greatglenvintage, but I just put the coat on and I'm small and there is no way those ties at the armhole are going to go around anything. I'm stumped.

7. Yes, as greatglenvintage illustrates, one of the ties goes through the loop and then ties with the other tie.

8. GinaM

GinaM Registered Guest

Okay, thanks everyone!

9. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

Yes, they don't go around your body in any way.

10. GinaM

GinaM Registered Guest

Sorry I'm not getting it, but if they don't go around the body, what is the purpose of tying them together?

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Good question. It also seems that if you did put one of these through the tiny thin corded loop, the loop would eventually break or more likely tear the lining to which it is sewn.

I think these 2 ties have some other purpose. And why are they both on the same side? I mean, why not have one on each side if they are to meet in the "middle"? And why are they coming out of the inner sleeve? Would it not be more practical and comfortable to have them sewn to the lining near the waist or upper body?

Maybe I just don't get it either.

My guess is that they tie together but do not go around the body. They go behind your back and tie together, to create a more fitted silhouette. I cannot think of any other reason! But I am still not sure why they are both on the same side.

I think I need more coffee......

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    nsweezie likes this.
  12. Whenever I've seen these ties, they attach as described, and as per the cape above: the bottom tie goes across the front of body and through the loop, to tie in a bow with the top tie. It holds the coat in place, perhaps in case the buttons come undone.

Try doing them up when you're wearing them and see if it feels right. I've seen hundreds of these and as mentioned, they're usually lower down but I have seen them this high before.

13. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi, Yes. It's an inside belt. It doesn't necessarily prevent the coat from opening as the closures do that but it is intended to keep it closer to the body. It does tie as explained in other replies. Both straps go in front and across to the loop, one strap goes through the loop and then ties to the other strap.
    I do notice that the inside belt of your coat initially posted in this thread is higher however the intent would be the same. It would just focus more on keeping the top closer to the body.

These inside belts are very common in fur coats. I wish I could show you better photos and I am sure I have some but I generally do not show the inside belts of my coats, just the lining.

Here's a close up of the belt which has the two straps
    IMG_1187.jpg

and then here's a shot of the front of the lining and that inside belt is on the right side when looking at your monitor. The loop is on the opposite side on the lining further in beyond the edge of the fur.
    IMG_1191.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Just a note that I have discovered the straps occasionally pull out of the seam, and if you wanted to place it at a stronger point, under the arm where the lining fabric meets the sturdier outer fabric would be a good choice. I am wondering if someone did this without realising they no longer reached the loop (that plaited thread).

15. GinaM

GinaM Registered Guest

Ok, I tried it on again and the ties will fit across the chest, though that seems like an odd place to have them and it is awkward to try and tie them at that height, but it would keep the coat snug at the chest. Thank you ALL for your input!! Really appreciate it.

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

I am just surprised that 2 ties, which Gina said are only 12" long each, could possibly fit around anyone's chest other than a child. That's only 24" and you still have to allow an inch or two for the tie. And why are they inside of a sleeve? Seems that would pull on the sleeve and effect the lines of the coat? Oh well, if you guys say they wrap around the body, then I give in.

17. peaceful vintage

The ribbon itself is really one that is sewn in the middle so it has two ends that can tie together like a shoe lace. The ribbon does not go around the chest at all. Both ends go across the front and tie through the loop on the other side. I think I might have a photo showing this. Let me see if I can find that and if not I will take a new picture to show it as an example.

18. Yes, it's hard to describe without seeing it but Barbara, the ties go across the chest - not around. You're right that they wouldn't fit around. But it's across the front.

I hope you can find a pic Caryn.

19. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hmmm. However, 12" long is not long enough to go across the front of a woman's chest either. ???? There is no way a 12" ribbon can reach from inside the sleeve and go all the way across her chest and tie to that tiny loop. It is the placement of the loops that mystifies me, as any other loops we have all seen are placed lower, closer to the waist areas, and are longer.

What am I not seeing here? Maybe it is just that the coat is a very tiny or child's size?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  20. peaceful vintage

I haven't been able to check my photos yet but what you say Barbara makes sense.
    With the ribbon being at the armpit crossing over to a loop at the other armpit would not be possible at that length unless the armpit was very low like a dolman sleeve would have.

This must mean that unless a tiny person or youth wore it that it would not be able to fit across front from armpit to armpit and tie.

If it was not for a tiny person who could achieve that then I think a prior person may have resewn that back in that area in error possibly having the ribbon but not finding a loop creating a makeshift one for the other side.