1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long shot here, Date this scarf? 1940s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Spartcom5, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Registered Guest

Hey guys, I know it's pretty hard to date a scarf especially with no label. I'm not an expert but the scarf has some wool for sure and maybe silk? I have no idea how to tell! The scarf has a bit of stretch when pulled horizontally. The tassels looks vintage they way they are assembled. The pattern screams vintage along with the colors used. Has one or two old stains that have all but faded to almost nothing. I'm thinking 1940s on this scarf based on all this however I would love some more opinions from people who know more!! Any input is welcome! Btw I love vintage scarves but have a hard time dating most.
    20161220_222032_resized.jpg 20161220_222025_resized.jpg 20161220_222134_resized.jpg

2. Spartcom5

I knew this was a long shot but any guesses at all?? I love this scarf!!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Could you show us the scarf either posed on a mannequin or the full length of it on a hanger...If it's very long it is probably older.

I don't know the name for this sort of knit pattern but it reminds me a lot of Missoni, not saying it is a Missoni piece, simply that the patterning
    is similar to some of their work.

I wondered it if would fall into the shetland lace category, but I cannot be sure of that either.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Just seeing it like this... looks 1940s too me. I'm working with some gloves that are a VERY similar fiber, in their case a silk blend.

5. My guess is that it's either silk or rayon and '30s or '40s. If it's rayon you could soak in an oxygen bleach, but not if it's silk (it might damage it).

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It does have a 30s or 40s look to the design and colorway. And the weave looks like a silk knit or rayon. However, the way the ends are finished with that serging looks more modern to me. A 30s or 40s scarf would usually (not always) be a bit more substantial, usually double sided and/or have a hand or machine sewn hem but not a serged hem.

Not sure, just noticing the way it is finished seems more modern.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

About cleaning... check for color-fastedness, of course. With my gloves, they cleaned up beautifully with baby shampoo. Just a drop.

8. Spartcom5

Thanks everyone, I think it's silk. I took measurements and it's 54-55in long. Also, took some more pictures of the stitching. Paix, what do you mean by double-sided?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Thanks for the close ups. It looks like it is not serged after all, it just appeared that way in the far away photos. My mistake on that.

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks like a rayon jersey scarf from the 20s to me.

11. Spartcom5

How could I tell if it's silk or rayon? It does have one hole as if something ate it, they wouldn't have eaten rayon would they?

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Carpet beetles eat rayon, it's not their first choice, but they will eat rayon.