1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More antique menswear: waistcoats/vests

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Mar 11, 2017.

1. I picked up these three waistcoats/vests at the same estate sale as the 1880s summer suit I posted about in another thread. I'll put each vest in a separate post within this thread.
    The first one has an L-shaped tear in the lining which allows a peek at the back of the main fabric. Also, the underside of one of the back straps, is a label that says "Trade RW Mark". There's a little symbol between the R and the W that could be a star or possibly an &.

IMG_4119.JPG

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Another vest:

IMG_4105.JPG

Attached Files:

3. The third vest:

IMG_4113.JPG

Attached Files:

4. And I'll add the braces to this post, too. Hoping for dates on everything, of course!

IMG_4142.JPG

Attached Files:

5. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Hi - I sold a fancy vintage waist coat and the New York Public library has good prints showing different styles and dates in their FREE digital library. This one was for 1840's I believe.

digitalcollection_new_york_public_library.jpg

Also, you may or may not have seen THIS thread....

6. Thanks for the photo and the link. :)
    I definitely need to do more research but waistcoats all look so similar!

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think those vests are all 1880s - 1900s. The higher neckline on the last one is notable - but could be 1890s or 1910s. Is there any chest padding? Are there dates on the back buckles? ( which will only tell you when it was patented, but still, that's a help).

Hollis

8. I've spent the last hour researching the vests and I, too, came up with 1880s-1900.
    No, no padding and no dates on anything.