1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I was hoping to find out what this pant style is called. I would have called them Capri but then I found out that the term is strictly for tight pants. I saw a number of different names like sailor pants (not it since they don't have a flap), palazzo (fabric is not flowing like that, it's very stiff), gaucho pants (maybe works). It could be a pant skirt but frankly I think they are more pants than skirt. Or maybe just flare pants...

Any help with how to describe these would be greatly appreciated. Besides the style, how would you describe the fabric pattern?

IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1006.JPG IMG_1007.JPG IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG

Thanks
    Victoria

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Those are so cool! To me, they look like a take-off on what we used to call clam diggers. But clam diggers generally should have a cuff and I cannot tell if yours do. You could also call these cropped hostess pants.

3. Vintagiality

Thank you Barbara! There is no cuff. I was under the impression that clam diggers were another name for Capris and that they are tight rather than flare. I may be confused though. I love these (they are better than the picture) and so wanted to keep them for myself but the waist is actually tiny (24").

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Well, if there is no cuff then I would definitely not call them clam diggers. I would call them Gaucho style pants as they do have a flare and are the right length. Besides, who would wear cropped hostess pants anyway? :hysterical:

Capris and clam diggers are not the same. Capris are tight fitting and slender, worn to mid calf or a bit lower. Clam diggers are looser fitting and have cuffs, and fall just a bit below the knee. And then there are pedal pushers...and Toreador pants.....it gets confusing!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  5. In the late '70s we called them "gauchos".

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

7. Vintagiality

Thank you all! Does this plaid have a name or should I just say plaid and leave it at that?

8. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Reminds me of culottes.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I was going to mention culottes too.

10. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

I immediately thought "gauchos" as well.