1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk to me about TIES!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cotmyey, Apr 15, 2004.

1. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

Okay, you great people, now about vintage Ties.

I'd like some information(to make a page) about the different widths of ties, when the era was, and what keywords we can use to describe them properly. Pictures, labels, length, width, etc.

ie: swing, rab(rockabilly), gansta, 50's, oldman:P, and whatever other 'era' specific words you can think of.

Thx. Gayle

2. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Can't help you Gayle, but am looking forward to seeing the finished page...I have a ton of ties that I would like to
    list and need mucho info on them!

Sue:)

3. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

4. I don't know tons and bunches about neckties (or any menswear for that matter), but I've got some general guidelines for widths.

1940's - ties were slightly shorter than modern ties and had widths of about 4"

1950's - ties had both square ends and pointed ends and were about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide

1960's - ties began to widen slightly and were often closer to the 2" width

1970's - ties hit their max width of about 5" during this decade.

1980's - saw a return to more moderate widths of about 3"

It seems to be a general trend that the wider the lapel style on jackets the wider the ties will be.

--Kari

5. cotmyey

cotmyey VFG Member

Thx. Kari, that is the kind of information I'm looking for.

Also, pictures, labels, etc.

catalogue scans, etc.

Gayle