1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victor Costa Romantica line question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I have been researching a dress by Victor Costa from the Romantica collection which I thought to be late 80s from the design. Subsequently, I found online here http://www.fashionencyclopedia.com/Ch-Da/Costa-Victor.html#ixzz4S47Wch6l that the Romantica line was for J.C. Penney, 1994-95; designer, A.S. Design Group

However, in the label resource here http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/costa-victor/ the second label is also Romantica by Victor Costa and it says it's from the 70s. Does anyone know definitively when Romantica came out?

Here is the actual dress.

Thank you,
    Victoria
    IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1292.JPG IMG_1296.JPG

2. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Your dress appears to be a classic 1970s dress.
    I do believe he brought back the Romantica line for JC Penney sometime in the 1990s but I don't know what the label looked like.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Your lovely dress is somewhat similar to the Romantica dress in the second image HERE, and which they date to 1974.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Vintagiality

Thank you all! You are awesome. I was convinced that it was older than 1994 but couldn't find anything supporting the existence of Romantica before that.

Victoria

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

70s here too, that is definitely is not a 90s label. Lovely dress!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think all the Victor Costa Romantica pieces I have come across have been early-mid 70s. Your dress looks to be from then too - 1973-74ish

8. Vintagiality

Would you call the material lurex or lamé or something else?

9. I would call that lurex but you could use either term.