1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VINTAGE 1980s!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lindapoirier, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

My totally fabulous grandmother passed down her jewelry stash today, and I found this wonderful kinetic Eve Kaplin brooch in the lot! Thought of this thread (and Linda particularly!) immediately. So glad I can better appreciate this beautiful piece thanks to this site!
    20170829_1941312500.jpg
    20170829_1942172500.jpg

Midge and poppysvintageclothing like this.
  2. Terri

Terri Registered Guest

IMG_1544.JPG I love 80s, Eve Kaplin, and Memphis. So thank you all for your contributions to this discussion, and keep in going! I found this book at my local design and architecture bookshop Peter Miller. It it pretty great.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Lulu Poppins

Lulu Poppins Registered Guest

It's so funny and nice!

5. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I will not start collecting this fab vintage, I will not start collecting this fab vtg.......
    After this thread I keep seeing this or like everywhere I go. Linda, linda.

6. Sonia Helena

Sonia Helena Registered Guest

I was a teenager in the 80s but I'm afraid all I have left are some photos and vinyl albums :)

7. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

This thread inspired me to buy (and list) this choker on Etsy (click on the image for the listing). Thanks for the inspiration and the eye candy!

memphischoker.jpg

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Super bold print zebra stripe and hand printed floral nylon dress by Botto.

Probably one of the brightest in my collection!

IMG_4334.jpg

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I went to that site, thanks to your link, and wound up buying a pin, because it perfectly matched an outfit I bought about an hour before -- well, I am not into combat boots (see below).

AcmePinWTunicOutfitRustSleeves.jpg

When I went to order it, though, a message appeared that said something about opening their vault for the sale of some (all?) of the 1980's pins and once they are gone they are gone. When my pin arrived it came with this card:

AcmeStudioCloisonnePin.jpg
    So, it looks like they are not reproductions, but 1980's originals.

Thanks for the link!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  10. Kimberly Vigili

Kimberly Vigili Registered Guest

[​IMG]
    LOVED THESE FROM THE 80'S, ROCKED THEM ALL THE TIME!!
    HAD EVERY COLOR, EVERY PATTERN

11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Kim, are those for customizing an oversized tee into fit and drape of choice? I had a couple of those that I loved. They worked great during my pregnancy in 1990, with leggings underneath.

12. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Bed Bath & Beyond is currently offering tee shirt clips as an accessory for a 1980s Halloween costume. From their website:
    [​IMG]

foofoogal and GemGem like this.
  13. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Found this 1982 oversize E.T. pin the other day! I had forgotten about the giant pin trend..

20180930_155316-1.jpg

14. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I bought this gorgeous 80s choker recently for a snip, not knowing the designer, Farah Lister, apparently quite collectable but I know nothing about her. I have seen a few examples, some of them incredibly highly priced but then others so so much lower, I have no idea why??

thumbnail_IMG_4585.jpg

15. foofoogal

This screams 1980s MC Hammer to me as legs very large but label stated in label resource here early 90s.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

16. Well the wall went down in November 89 and labels using “made in West Germany” could have been used well into the first year or so afterwards. Hammer came out with his “Cant Touch This” in 90, but the pants in the video were very harem in design. I think yours are earlier than late 80s/ early 90s but by how much, not sure. Probably had a matching top.

17. foofoogal

Thank you. The widest part of the leg is 22.25 inches laid flat so I would call them Hammer pants. Thank you.

18. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

Just found this late 1980s Donnybrook coat at the thrift store. While researching it, I found out Rihanna owns the same one!

4C5A4928-641B-43F7-9684-79FAE541FE1B.jpeg 188A0ED9-1BBC-427B-AC2A-A8A386ECC000.jpeg
    114C0B8C-EA38-41CF-B55C-3F5990E80329.jpeg

19. drizzivtg

drizzivtg Registered Guest

The blouse which has a matching skirt was a recent buy from auction. Made by Parigi

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  20. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

A nice example of 1980s fabric Memphis Design Styling.

80s Fabric Memphis style 1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019