1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WANTED: Swirl Dresses

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Laura, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Laura

Laura Alumni

A few years ago I bought a couple of '50s Swirl dresses. One is in really great condition, and the other was obviously worn a lot and is threadbare in several places. They didn't fit me at the time because I was pregnant, so I put them away and forgot about them.

Yesterday I was going through my vintage racks and came across the better Swirl. I tried it on just for fun. And it fits! And I'm in love! So easy to wear, so comfortable...I think Swirl is going to be my new summer wardrobe.

So I'm looking for more Swirls in a large or XL size. Let me know if you have any for sale. I already did an Ebay search and didn't find too much.

Thanks! :USETHUMBUP:

Laura

2. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Sad to say, I sold the only true Swirl I have found. Sorry I did. I do have a Swirl that is just a straight shift, a more modern one. Will have to find it and show you.

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

4. Laura

Laura Alumni

Oh, thanks Lizzie! That yellow Swirl is adorable. I'll keep the pattern in mind. Part of me is tempted to just sew some dresses in some cool, retro fabric -- Swirls are really a very simple design -- but I thought I'd try the ready-to-wear route first, since I have a large stack of things to make this summer. Currently I'm working on some clothes for Gabriela.

Laura

5. katzoid

katzoid VFG Member

My only Swirl, 70s vintage size 10 measurements 36bust, 26waist, hip full, length maxi, 55 inches overall length.

[​IMG]

Kat

6. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

Hi Laura,
    Are you still looking for Swirls? I finally got my stock organized and photographed the one I have. It measures Bust 38 (a little give due to the wrap style), Waist (elastized) 30-32", Shoulder to Waist 16", Length 37".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    U2U me if you are interested!

7. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Laura,

I have the cutest Swirl Girl! :wub:

Now where on earth is she... she can't run, but she can hide -- and I bet she will. But I'll find, measure, take a quick pic or 2 & get back to you. It's not a wrap style - it's a kinda mod, scooter-girl number (60's, young) - aDORable!

Carolyn

8. bigchief

Laura -

Well it is cute, but 'scooter girl' is a bit of a stretch (I should've asked myself: 'Scooter girl + Swirl? Really?' lol)

Cotton blend poplin top; ribbed cotton print skirt with matching belt with plastic rings buckle. The skirt has pockets & hidden elastic side inserts. Zip front closure. I found the dress with that perfect little artist's palette pin...

[​IMG]

B: 39
    W: 26 - 28
    H: 41
    L: 39.5 shoulder to hem [16.5 shoulder to waist seam]

:)

Carolyn

9. Laura

Laura Alumni

Thanks, guys, but all three are too small. :( My current measurements are 41" bust, 35" waist, 46" hips. I should have given you my measurements at the top, but I'm a bit self-conscious. I'm on a diet (I've lost 20 pounds of pregnancy fat so far), but I don't want to stray too far from my current size since I'm not sure what my proportions will be once I reach my goal.

The nice thing about the older Swirls is that they have the very full hips and the wrap waist is very forgiving. lol Let me know if you come across anything else that might work. I appreciate the effort. :)

Laura

10. indymom810

indymom810 Registered Guest

Laura,
    I've got one that will probably fit you. You are a little smaller than me (same in the hips though) and I wore mine to a wedding, but I think it's a little small for me.

No pics yet, but blue rose print, and a lattice bodice. It's really cute.

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll find it and get you some pics.

Lisa
    *thewiggleroom* aka misshelenes on ebay

11. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

lve never heard of a SWIRL dress, so l didnt know what you meant. The yellow one looks like a pinny!? a apron dress? the others are differnt styles, so l guess SWIRL is th emaker, ah l see the label..

l Love Kat's 70s dress, the pattern is so fab...wish l could take it fro you...no point, l'd have to lose another stone...and my wight seems stuck here where lve been since xmas...sigh

12. Laura

Laura Alumni

Yes, Sara, Swirl is just a brand name for an apron dress. There is a lot of information on Swirl in the label resource, and Lizzie has an article she wrote on her website, complete with photos.

Lisa, I would LOVE to see pictures of the dress you have. :)

Laura

13. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

thanks laura....its interesting that with all the resources avialbale and however long we lurk here, there is soo much going on offer here at VFG!!

14. indymom810

indymom810 Registered Guest

Laura,
    I will try and get you pics in the next day or two. I'm kind of snowed under at the moment, but will definitely get them. :)

Lisa

15. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

16. bigchief

17. Laura

Laura Alumni

ARGH!!! I can't believe I missed that auction! That would have been perfect, and such a cute print! I knew I should have listened to the nagging voice telling me to get online last night. I shut off my computer around 12:30 yesterday and didn't get back online until this morning. :(

I'm going to go check your listing, Linda...

Laura

18. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

19. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I've got two up on my site, in your size range. :D

20. Laura

Laura Alumni

Damn WildBlue! My internet connection still isn't fixed, and I'm missing out on all kinds of goodies...

Jenn, I love that brown Swirl. I'll take it! :)

Laura