1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what type of weave on this Lilli Ann wool coat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Mar 8, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hello to everyone!
    I can't remember/never knew? the name for this type of weave?
    Thanks for any help
    Lauren
    IMG_0398.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

You could call it ribbed or cord.

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I would include diagonal--unusual ribbed diagonal weave. I don't think coat is cut on bias, but collar is and the ribs are very nice at CF.

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I can see that the collar portion is weaved vertically, I can see that the body is weaved diagonally, and I am not positive based on the angles shown but the sleeves appear to be weaved horizontally.

If the weave does go in different directions that would make it a directional ribbed coat.

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks everyone. that helps!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Looks like wide wale corduroy weave to me. Unusual to see it in wool, however.

7. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Can you look at the back of the fabric under the lining? If so, you can see whether the fronts are a diagonal weave or cut on bias. I think the former since the diagonal goes from left to right on both fronts. Also, a bias cut would be more expensive to cut than straight grain.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I have had a few ribbed wool coats similar to this. I will have to remember to look up this thread again when I find mine.