1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zucchini Cake recipes pleeeese!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by pinky-a-gogo, Jul 21, 2007.

1. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

My neighbor is in Australia for a few weeks and has left his garden in my care. Actually, he has a full time gardener, so he really left the picking of his flowers and vegies to me.....Now, there are zucchinis everywhere!

And I hate them--yuck!

However, if they are carefully hidden, I can eat them in chocolate zucchini cake, but it has to be reallllly moist, not like a bread, again Yuck! :D

If anyone has a great recipe to share I would be most appreciative. I'll spend the rest of the night grating zucchinis and making cakes!!

Last week I was in the same predicament but with garlic. So I made tons of pesto and froze it.

Thanks!

2. I love zucchinis and have wonderful recipes for them, I'll go check for a chocolate cake (but I don't remember having one). Do you like carrot cake? Sometimes I would make a carrot cake but substitute with zucchinis instead.

It's been a while, but I do make a mean zucchini pie (it's like quiche), if that interests you.

And pesto - double YUM - I throw it in almost everything!!!

Oh dear, I'm hungry...

3. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

Thanks for the warning. I know that Iam now goingoin to be inodated with zucchini from my gardnering Father and neighbors.....Zucchini Bread, Stir fried zucchini, Zuchini Casserol....

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

-Chris

4. pinky-a-gogo

Deborah--I do like carrot cake but am worried that the zucchini stench may make its presence known if it isn't camouflaged with chocolate. I can't take that chance :D

I've been looking up recipes online for chocolate zucchini cake but they all sound more like a bread.

5. Okay, I may have found a good one from the Harrowsmith Cookbook Vol. III. I've liked and had success with every recipe in this book Here's the intro for Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake:

A great way to get zucchini into zucchini haters. This cake improves in flavour if allowed to sit for a day before it is eaten.

Sounds like it was made for you :spin:

You will need:

3 cups of flour
    1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1-1.2 tsp cinnamon
    1-1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp cloves
    1-1/2 cups oil

2-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
    4 eggs
    2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
    3 zucchini, grated
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1 cup nuts

Combine all the dry stuff except sugar. Beat oil and sugar, then add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in melted chocolate then add the dry ingredients. Beat until smooth. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into greased and floured bundt pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Cool and frost.

6. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Did you check under the couch??? :o

:hysterical:

You could still try the carrot cake and just sub in 1/2 the carrots with zuccini and add extra spices. Maybe use dark brown sugar instead of regular so it will be like a spiced Christmas cake. Sort of. Maybe add some apricots or use apricot nectar for the part of the liquid. :eureka:

That recipie sounds great! And GRATE is what you are going to be doing for the next day, Tiff! :wacko:

Janine

7. "Did you check under the couch???" :hysterical:

I didn't realize they had a stench... Still too bread-like for you, Tiff?

8. pinky-a-gogo

Yay! That recipe sounds great/grate. I am going to use it and let you know how it turns out. I'm not going to use a bundt form though. I'm so excited. Thank you!!

Janine--apricots and zucchini with special spices?!?!?!? Are you trying to kill me? Don't answer that.

9. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Oh yeah. sorry. :hysterical:

Better watch that one and a half CUPS of oil in that choco mix!

Janine

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Huh - I never thought of zuchinnis having a "stench" either. Ho ho. I take the bigger ones, split in half and scoop out the seeds and fill with a meatloaf mixture. Then put strips of bacon over the top and a spicy barbeques sauce and bake. It tastes kind of like eggplant. I like them grilled too. Hmmm - going to go cook some up zukes right now.

11. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Gad-ZUKES! :o

All that meat fat kinda defeats the purpse of a nice fresh vegetable, doesn't it, Amanda? Although when they get to the "boat" stage they are pretty much edible baking dishes.

Raw or lightly sauteed for the little to medium ones and grilled or pan roasted for the monster ones is OK with me. The blossoms are nice, too. I love giving the huge, weapon-sized ones to people as surprise gifts. They always get the same "Oh, GREAT!" look on their faces.

:hysterical:

Janine

12. pinky-a-gogo

See--you have to camouflage the stench of the actual zucchini. I prefer chocolate to meat fat but whatever works! I do like eggplant but hate squash too-ugh.

Anyhow, I just got back from the grocery store and will start my prepping. You should never go to the grocery store hungry-- As I munch on a kit kat.

13. Well, Tiff you and I could never be roomies - I dislike eggplant but love any kind of squash, especially spaghetti squash. And the blossoms are delish!

Looking forward to hearing how the recipe turns out!

14. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

I'm visualizing Tiffany right now in her cool kitchen, surrounded by HEAPS of grated green summer squash. BUT, she is unconcious - passed out cold from the STENCH of the ZUKES - lying in a heap on the floor, sprinkled with tiny bits & shreds of couzinni.

:no:

15. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Ooooo....I love zucchini cake! :roll: I have a recipe just a bit different than the one posted. It has a combo of butter and oil....with sour milk, cocoa, and the chocolate chips are sprinkled on the top. I'll see if I can find it, if you are interested......

Gail

16. That sounds like a great recipe!

And the verdict is?

17. pinky-a-gogo

i made 6 zucchini cakes yesterday. gave 1 away, kept one out to eat and froze the rest. I frosted them with cream cheese frosting--wanting to keep them low in calories:hysterical:

That recipe was kick ass!:D Very moist and really good. I didn't taste the zucchini at all--just how I like it. Thanks!

18. "I frosted them with cream cheese frosting--wanting to keep them low in calories"

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Happy it worked out! And glad you didn't keel over from the smell!

19. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Yeah, Tiff, we are glad to hear that you survived the Giant Zuchinni Invasion and now are having the last laugh on them!

:USEROCKY: