1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bubblegumvintage

bubblegumvintage Registered Guest

Can anyone offer some advice on "The Addis Co - Syracuse NY" label? I have a gorgeous piece with this tag, very well made (ribbon and hand stitched hems, fully lined etc) but am having trouble dating it/identifying the label. Does anyone know anything about this company/maker? The only thing I can find is a photograph of an old Addis Co sign on the side of a building in Syracuse. Help!!!...........

2. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I personally have only a small bit of info on them, but if you do a Google search, there is indeed more available. My first-hand knowledge (or, rather, second hand) is due to a fabulous 50's suit by "Bellciano" with the Addis label. The woman I bought the suit from told me that it was an upscale dept. store in Syracuse. Her mother bought the suit there and had it tailored there, so they were one of those "old-style" stores that not only fitted their clothing in house, but probably did a lot of custom orders as well.

Online information says that The Addis Company merged with Dey Brothers in the late 1980s and then merged again with Sage-Allen in the early 1990s. The entire chain closed in 1994.

I would love to see the garment on which this label is. I'm certain anything with that store label is wonderful. Is there a maker's label on it as well?

3. bubblegumvintage

Hi Anne! Thanks for the info. I have thoroughly checked the piece and there is no makers label but the fabric and construction lead me to believe that I have come across a very well made piece. The garment is very reminiscent of Jackie-O in my mind and from the construction and style I was thinking it was from the 60s (although I am quite new to dating items). When I figure out how to add another picture I will... Happy to hear any further thoughts. Kind regards, Amber

4. bubblegumvintage

Figured it out! :)

5. MyVintageCocktail

That's a lovely silk dress! The color is really pretty. One can tell just by the photo that it is a quality piece. It likely would have been an expensive dress in its day. And, yes, I agree with your dating of 60s (I would say mid).

Thank you for sharing with us!

6. I agree with Anne on dating: early to mid 1960s. As you say, very Jackie Kennedy.

Nicole

7. lizzietree

lizzietree Registered Guest

I love this so much! I'm not normally big on 60s stuff, but this piece is such a stunner!

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it's early '60's - C. 1962-1963 because of the assymetry and the 3/4 sleeves. Jackie Kennedy's trip to India and Pakistan was in 1962 and except for being more covered it reminds me of the colorful pastel silks she wore on that trip. If you Google images of Jackie Kennedy trip to India you will see what I mean!

I love the dress!

9. bubblegumvintage

Thank you ladies, glad to know I'm on the right track. It has some beautiful tailoring with darts at the elbows and bust, and lines that create the most elegant silhouette. I will endeavor to find more information on Addis Co as this label was not a part of the VFG Label Resource and think this may be a valuable addition. Kind regards, Amber

10. Crikey Aphrodite

Crikey Aphrodite Registered Guest

Hi, I found this discussion when I was looking for information for a blog post. I thought I'd link to it as it's a Lilli Ann suit labelled as Addis Co and you might find it interesting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MyVintageCocktail

That's a gorgeous suit! Can you please post a photo or two from your photo-hosting site in place of the link?

12. Crikey Aphrodite

Have done so, they're a bit big, hope that's ok.
    Sorry, I didn't realise there would be a problem linking because the suit isn't for sale and I'm not a vintage seller.

13. MyVintageCocktail

Thank you--much easier to view! Actually, my main reason for asking is that it is much easier for the others on this forum if photos are pictured here instead of people having to link to them--you'll find that, should you post items for questions on origins and dating, you're likely to get more views and responses if folks can see the photos right here.

I understand the suit isn't for sale (I wouldn't want to part with that, either!), and that you're not a vintage seller. But the terms of use specify not to link to retail sites, and since your blog links to your retail site, I think, but am not 100% sure, that it's frowned upon. I just wouldn't want you to accidentally do something that's not allowed! We've had posters who have linked to non-vintage retails sites and it's been a problem!

14. Crikey Aphrodite

No, that's perfectly fine :) better to be safe than sorry. I just didn't want to spam the forum with loads of photos when they were all on the blog. But I do understand. And true, people pay more attention to photos right in front of them than via a click.

Oh I could never part with this :) It doesn't even fit now, but one day it will again. If anyone can give me more accurate info on it I'd really appreciate it actually. I know it's post war due to the Fabric of France label and it's a fairly typical style, but beyond that I don't know much. That's why I was hunting around for Addis & Co info. Also, as I mentioned on the blog, I'm looking for suggestions on how to stabilise the edge of the cuff where the fabric is splitting without compromising the suit. It's the only real damage on it.

15. bubblegumvintage

Hi Crikey Aphrodite, that sure is a gorgeous suit! I've obviously been out of the loop for a while but all the same it's interesting to come back and see new info. The Addis & Co. label on your suit is different to the one on the outfit I originally posted about too (my tag is the reverse, white with black writing) - curious to see what you end up dating yours at and how many years apart the change in labels was.....

16. Katia Dallafior

Katia Dallafior Registered Guest

I have seen photos of a Lilli Ann '50s princess coat with the exact same label as that suit, and I was worried that it was a con, but it seems that this company/store worked with Lilli Ann in some way.

17. bubblegumvintage

Nope, not a con thank goodness :) Mind you, good vintage is hard to fake unless you're a couturier haha :) I have learnt so much from these threads. Thanks for chiming in Katia!

18. janice geddes

janice geddes Registered Guest

I am a former employee of the The Addis Company, a high end department store in Syracuse, NY. I began working there at 16 in their Juniors Department at the Fairmount Fair Shopping Center Store in Camillus, NY. The main store was on S. Salina St. in Syracuse. The store was founded by the Smith family and was one of the best stores in Central NY. In the mid to late 60's the Junior Department carried Evan Picone, Ladybug, and Villager, primarily. Full time employees received a 30% discount so I had a wonderful wardrobe, including shoes, handbags, jewelry and lingerie. Every item was top tier. If you have an Addis label, you have quality! Our alterations department was top notch, and always available. This was an old guard department store but it encouraged kids like me and I ended up going to college for merchandising. No other work environment has ever come close to being what I experienced at the Addis Company.

19. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

Thanks for that information...very informative--

bubblegumvintage likes this.
  20. bubblegumvintage

Hi Janice, thank you so very much for kindly lending your personal experience to this thread. It is people like yourself that continue to keep the history of these wonderful institutions alive where there is very scarce information. Would you be willing to allow me to submit your review along with my photos to the Vintage Fashion Guild for consideration to add to their label resource? If you have any other experience or vintage tales we would surely love to hear those too :) kind regards, Amber