1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you launder or dry clean this dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Oct 7, 2011.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Just wanted to update you all. I took the coat to the cleaners and the desk clerk said she couldn't guarantee how it would come out, how the buttons would end up, blah, blah, blah. I deal poker for a living so I've got the gambler blood running through me. I decided that since the dress came out so well and since the lining on the coat didn't have any tears, I would wash that too. I took saran wrap and covered all the buttons, turned it inside out, and threw it in the washer on gentle cycle. I even put it in the dryer for about 10 minutes on low heat and then hung it up to contine drying. It came out really nice! All the spots came out and it's a beautiful outfit. Now, I also took an 80's white silk Ellen Tracy suit in that didn't come out good at all. I guess that one will be given to goodwill.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Did you have the suit dry cleaned and it did not turn out well...maybe you should try washing that one too before it goes out!
    Happy to hear about your success on that fabulous lime green ensemble!

3. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Are you talking about the Chanel denim suit? Haven't cleaned it yet, but it WON'T be going in the washer. I don't want to iron it anyway ';)

4. If worried about buttons I would just remove them. I have just bought a Lillie Anne suit, probably from the 60s, I paid a fair price for the suit so didnt want waist my investment. Not sure if it was wool or polly (its a knit), so I sent them both the dress and coat and the cleaners and they shrunk the lining! I mean really dont they have any idea how to treat vintage, it just needed freshening up!:flaming:

5. joules

joules VFG Member

The lime green Vassar ensemble, I would guess that it was from a boutique on Clayton Road, that was called The Image, or a similar ladies boutique shop.
    It has that preppy, conservative St. Louis look, for sure. Add some Pappagallo shoes, and a monogrammed handbag, and you'll fit right in.
    Good for you, for going for it this time, anyway!

6. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

You must be from "The Lou" too! Before you ask "the question", Parkway Central. :) Only those from St. Louis know the question. GO CARDS!

7. joules

joules VFG Member

8. I agree with Anne about trying spot cleaning first and I'm glad she mentioned the rust possiblity on the buttons becuase that was the first thing I thought of when you were talking about tossing it in the machine. The lining of the coat could definitey shrink in the wash, but if you decided to throw caution to the wind and machine wash or soak anyway, I highly recommend that you remove the buttons first as they will rust through and permanantly stain the fabric.

9. poppysvintageclothing

I was referring to the Ellen Tracy suit you mentioned did not come out well...I did not know if you meant you had it dry cleaned or tried to wash it yourself!

10. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Oh, I had it dry cleaned and it looked worse than when I brought it it. It had red pen or marker on the jacket which I doubted would come out anyway and then came back with the red mark plus a bunch of other stains. I also brought in an Ungaro skirt that didn't come clean. I also had a Chanel suit cleaned that I had already sold that had some stains on it that I had disclosed. The buyer returned it not because of disclosed stains, but because it smelled of Cumin and she hates Mexican food. That made me chuckle because it came from the same woman's closet that wore the green Vassar ensemble and since she just recently passed away in her 90's, I don't think the suit saw a Mexican restaurant in it's lifetime.

11. poppysvintageclothing

So I guess you feel that there is no point in trying to wash that Ellen Tracy?

Sorry to hear your dry cleaners did not succeed!

12. joules

joules VFG Member

13. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Ellen Tracy suit is trashed. It's off-white silk and washing would make it so that Goodwill wouldn't even want it! It's a shame..... I hate to see vintage rendered useless.