1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating American Optical Pilot Glasses

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Chloe, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Chloe

Chloe Registered Guest

Does anyone know how to date the AO pilot glasses? I have searched the web and can't find any information. I have 3 pair on hand and I can't tell if they are old or new. I am assuming since they are GF they are older. Would also like to find out how to date Randolph Engineering eyewear. Thank you.

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

please post pictures and we may be able to help.

3. Chloe

Chloe Registered Guest

4. Chloe

Chloe Registered Guest

I tried but it says the file is too big. I don't know why it is the same thing I upload all the time. Do you know of any place where I can research vintage eyewear. People are posting these AO pilot glasses on ebay from $10 to $700. I need to know what makes them worth $50 vs $500? I noticed that some of the listings state they are 1/10 12K GF and mine read 12K GF - they don't have the 1/10th. If I can figure out how to upload my pix, I will. Thank you.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The markings are an indication of the gold content and the quality of that gold, so that would affect value. Wikipedia gives a good explanation about gold filled jewellery and it markings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold-filled_jewelry

Essentially 1/10 12K GF means that the 12kt gold is 1/10th the weight of the total item, ie 1 part 12kt gold to 9 parts base metal. If yours isn't marked it's probably less than that, but according to wikipedia 12kt gold-filled must be at least 1/20th 12kt gold to use the GF mark. I don't know if those criteria have changed over time.

When I was researching American Optical specs (I had a very old pair) I found this site useful. It's not the easiest site to navigate but there's a ton of information about the company on there.

http://www.opticalheritagemuseum.org/

AO are still around, and their own site has a history section with a timeline. You could always contact them and ask about your collection, some companies are happy to help.

Some companies still make GF spectacles so I wouldn't assume they are old, though I don't know if AO do - but you should be able to find that out from AO themselves.