1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two new dresses from me

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by pauline, Feb 3, 2014.

1. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

DRESSES PAUL JAN 2014 003.JPG DRESSES PAUL JAN 2014 004.JPG I have just b ought these two dresses, there no label so I think they must have been made especially for some one as they are both around a size 18/20 and the long one is floor length even on me been 6 foot tall. they originated from the USA.
    What do you think about the dating for each one,

Thank you Pauline

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Lovely! They look to be 1940's, though the fringing on the first may not be original, you'd need to show how it is attached - does it go through the lining if there is one etc.

3. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

There is no lining on the dress, the fridge is over the top of the skirt fabric in two bands around the skirt as shown with the right photo,
    the left photo show the inside of the dress and the fringe top is in the seam of the skirt, the fringe is either original to the dress or put on when there was a major alteration the skirt. as in been remade.
    frindge.jpg

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great finds, Pauline. I have had a 40s dress similar to this one with the fringe in the past.

5. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

This is the shorter one as been worn

Attached Files:

sewingmachinegirl and Retro Ruth like this.
  6. tickeryboo

tickeryboo Alumni

they are both lovely dresses, and i have a black crepe cc41 dress with fringing on exactly like that, and its original to the dress.

lorraine

7. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

They are fabulous finds Pauline, and you put that outfit together perfectly right down to the shoes. The dresses look 40's to me :)

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

You look fabulous in that picture Pauline - full 1940s style suits you.

9. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Oh thank you , the 40's is not a period I visited before in person. Other than reading about it, I not totally comfortable with the looks yet hopefully that will come in time.

10. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Lovely dresses Pauline but if I may be so bold to say the 40s looks doesn't suit you as well as the more contemporary. You look beyond fantastic in your avatar image! You're definitely able to wear pastels and bright colors and they look smashing on you. :) You're very close to my mother's skin/hair color and black is the one color you'll never see in her closet. She doesn't even like accessorizing with it but think you once showed us a pic of you wearing a black blazer ensemble that looked ever so stylish.

11. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Lovely dresses, Pauline, I love the beaded one. I think the other looks fine on you but I'd pair it with a shorter fur, and a wide brimmed hat. Congrats on your finds!
    Jen

12. sarah-jane

sarah-jane VFG Member

Both lovely dresses. But not enough of your fabulous pins on display!

13. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

For me one of the joys of vintage fashion is about trying different looks fro different periods, and I agree some suit me better than others but it's fun finding out and of course you learn more from making a mistake than not as long as it's not in public!
    I am pleased that the general consensus is that my dresses are around the 40's which is what both the dealer and I thought they were.

14. Wonderful style, as always.
    I agree 1940s.
    I can't wait to see the fringed one being worn!
    Have you ever thought of putting your hair up for evening or in a snood for the 40s?
    Thanks for sharing.

15. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

16. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

It's months since I started this thread, time just flies past this is a photo of the long fringed one, I know it's a bad photo , the fringed did not show up at all unless I moved around a little and altered the level a little.

.. 2014-05-06 2014-05-06 001 033.jpg

17. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Pauline you look wonderful in this dress, and I can see the fringing just fine. Love your choice of accessories too :)

18. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Great choice of shoes :USETHUMBUP: Bally 1945:
    Bally 1945.jpg

19. You look lovely in the fringed dress, Pauline!!

20. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

New Look size 9 wide fit,
    Style of clothing always come back which I said to my Dad when he was commenting onTrilby hats are popular again which he wore in the 40's and 50's up until the 1980's thinking about it.