1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage-Fashion Buttons-PATTERNS PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lkranieri, Mar 3, 2014.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Found today--in with a million vintage patterns--at the house sale of a (deceased) woman whose business card announced that she did "Women's and Children's Custom Made Clothes; Alterations."

The plastic buttons have an integrated shank on the back and are (l to r, top to bottom): Hat, handkerchief, handbag, belt, gloves, and a shoe.

Am I correct in assuming they are from about the mid-to-late 1940's?

Vintage-ClothingButtonsSm.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What adorable buttons. I am getting an older feel for these maybe 30s.

3. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

How cute! Great find !

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Those are super!
    Like Mary Jane, I'm also getting an older vibe from these.
    They're so detailed.

5. Great buttons! 1940s??

6. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Oh My, those buttons are amazing- they look more 30s to me too. What were the patterns like? it sounds fantastic.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The shoe style is about 1936/7 with that peaked tab, of course with novelty buttons today the shoes tend to be retro styles.

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Well - This is a job for button man. I sent him the photo with your question Lynne (and I LOVE the buttons) - Here is his answer -

These sets of buttons are called (rather unfortunately, to my mind) "goofies". They were made in the 40's (there are some patriotic WWII themed sets) and 50's.

Here's a link to a completed auction for the same set in a different color:

Code:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-PLASTIC-BUTTONS-WOMENS-ACCESSORY-SET-REALISTICS-GOOFIES-/141192480303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20dfba462f&nma=true&si=xPa3j37SkMZvArrBIVtkyHlF4Cw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What a fab set, Lynne!

"Goofies", hmm? I wonder what kind of garment a set like this would have been put on, and whether the buttons would have been used with functional buttonholes, or as decoration on top of snaps?

10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you all for the dating help for the buttons. Thank you, too, Amanda for asking your Button Man about them and for the link to the other set. I was delighted to learn about goofies.

Gayle, there is (still) at the house a very big steel pattern cabinet filled with patterns from, I think, the 1940's to the early 2000's. There are all pattern manufacturers reflected in the collection, but I saw many, many Spadea and Vogue patterns. There are also many, many buttons, but other than these, they are pretty plain.

11. boncly

boncly VFG Member

A big steel pattern cabinet FILLED? :jawdrop: <faint - splat!> Me want. Now. Drool.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  12. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

:jawdrop: Oh my, I am just green with envy, more photos please!!

13. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

15. INVINTAGEV

INVINTAGEV VFG Member

Amazing buttons!

16. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Per your request, Gayle, here are photos of the pattern cabinet and some of the older patterns (subsequent posts). I think there were four big, deep drawers in the cabinet and I believe the third drawer is filled with mostly children's clothing patterns. The envelopes are quite worn, but the insides seem to be intact or unused.

LaCouturierePatternCabinet.jpg

LaCouturierePatternDrawer1.jpg

17. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

18. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

19. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

LaCouturierePatterns6Sm.jpg

LaCouturierePatterns7Sm.jpg

LaCouturierePatterns8Sm.jpg

...and there are at least two more shoeboxes of old patterns