1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Era of this Racoon Fur Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by KCQTexas, Jun 16, 2014.

1. KCQTexas

KCQTexas Registered Guest

I purchased this coat on Saturday for myself and have been trying to figure out how old it is. I have scoured the coat for labels and haven't been able to find any. The coat is in good shape - and the style seems pretty classic.

I don't have photos of the lining but can take some - it is a solid satin that appears to have either been a brown color that has faded to a dark dusty rose color. The stitching inside is very thick- looks more like heavy needlework floss than thread.

Also - has anyone ever used the Lana's cleaning products on vintage fur? I just ordered the kit to give it a try. Looks pretty easy and the results look good based on the YouTube instructions/videos. :) I also need to do some repair to the lining as it has some rips and tears that need attention, but will probably either do it myself or find a good tailor who can repair it for me.

I don't want to spend a fortune on restoring this as I live in Texas and will probably only get to wear it a couple of times a year, but I loved it and had to have it!

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, I saw some of your questions on Etsy first and answered there. I will answer in brief what I already answered there and will assist with the rest here too.

I have had and do not recommend Lana's cleaning products. The cleaning process of fur coats in entirety does not involve wetting them. If you get a spot on your fur you can use a damp cloth with a gentle soap like Zote or Fels Naptha on it to remove the spot, then rub dry, and fluff with a clean soft cloth but you have to be careful not to wet the skin at the fur roots which can damage the skin. If you want to clean a fur coat in entirety you should have it cleaned by a furrier.

If a lining is torn at the edges or just coming away from the edges where it was previously attached it is a simple hand sewing job but if the tearing is not along the edges and is significatn, is shredding, or fraying then the lining might need to be replaced to prevent it from tearing further which would need to be done by a furrier or someone who knows how to cut the lining and sew it so it fits perfectly inside the fur coat.

As for determining age of your coat I would like to see a few more photos. Can you please show me a closer view of the front, the back, and a photo of the lining?

KCQTexas likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Can you take a photo of the lining and the buttons for us.
    Also, did you check the inner pocket, often there is a pocket in the lining.

KCQTexas and peaceful vintage like this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

5. KCQTexas

Hi Caryn,

Thanks so much for answering in both places! I will take some photos of the coat tonight and post them tomorrow. I wish I would have waited to order the Lana's cleaner now. Oh well! The wire brush in the package looked a bit on the harsh side to me too. The coat has a slight sweet smell to it and it looks like it could be brushed out but over all seems to be in pretty good shape. There is a small area around the buttons that the fur appears to have come off, but for the most part, it is soft and subtle.

The lining is torn away from the edges in some places, but the sleeve lining has a pretty good rip in it, although I think I could actually mend it and put it back together. Since I have no intention of selling the coat or looking at it as an investment piece, I only need to mend it enough to where I don't rip it more when I wear it.

6. KCQTexas

Mary Jane- Thanks! I will get some more pictures tonight. I didn't check the pockets for labels! Will do that tonight too!

7. KCQTexas

Sorry for the delay in getting more photos. I was home sick yesterday and didn't get on the computer. Here are pictures of the front, back, buttons, and lining of the coat. Still can't find any tags on the coat and the pockets seem to be lined with more of a suede type fabric and not the satin as the rest of the coat.

I did hear back from the furrier here in Austin and it sounds like they could do repairs & cleaning but I have a feeling it is going to be very $$$$$ and not something I'm going to be willing to do for a coat that I love but will wear maybe 1-2 times per year.

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files:

8. poppysvintageclothing

I am sure Caryn will be along to help as she is our resident fur expert!
    I would say that it looks early 50s to me due to the boxy shape and I have seen coats of that period with this type of inner pocket and the elasticized cuff lining from that period.

Just wanted to ask, can you manage to "air" it out on a clothesline. That can help to freshen it up some.

9. KCQTexas

Thanks Mary Jane- I have it hanging up in my bedroom right now and the smell isn't horrible. Just a bit on the sweet side - I might try hanging it outside over the weekend to see if that helps to "air" it out some.

10. peaceful vintage

Yes, I agree with early 50s because of the shape of the coat and the lining used. Also common for the 50s is the collar, sleeve length/shape, and elasticized cuff which is also known as a wind cuff. The wind cuff was tailored to prevent cold air hitting the bare arm when entering into the sleeve cuff. This was really popular in 50s coats.

It's a nice coat. I am not speaking of the value of the fur itself but rather the beauty of the styling combined with the age. If you are going to keep it and want to enjoy it for years to come I would invest in having it at least cleaned and glazed by the furrier every one to two years. It will preserve the condition and make it last longer. You looked lovely in it too. Enjoy and wear it well. :)

KCQTexas likes this.
  11. KCQTexas

Thanks Caryn! I will take it in and have the furrier look it over for me and give me an estimate for the cleaning and glazing. I appreciate all the help and advice and the compliments too. As I said before, I'm not typically drawn to vintage clothing but this coat just spoke to me! What was even more amazing to me was that it fit almost perfect too! That NEVER happens for me! Thanks again for all your help!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  12. peaceful vintage

If that is you that you showed in the coat it really works for you. In fact you look so bright and cheery that you make the coat work even more. :) We appreciate you sharing here and anytime you feel like doing so again and/or have questions we welcome you.

KCQTexas likes this.
  13. joules

joules VFG Member

So glad I was able to direct you to this area, from the other forum.
    No doubt about it, this coat was meant for you - it looks really nice on!

I hope the furrier gives you a good, fair price for the work.

See what I meant, about Caryn and furs? She's ace!

14. peaceful vintage

Awww...thank you. Blushing :wub:

KCQTexas likes this.
  15. KCQTexas

It is indeed me in the coat in the first picture! I think part of what makes this coat so fun for me is that I NEVER could have pulled it off 2 years ago. I have lost 136 pounds in that time and am in the process of figuring out what my "style" is but the minute I put on the coat and my SIL took this picture I had to have it. Thank you all for the compliments on how the coat looks on me and for being so warm and welcoming here and helping me in my quest to figure out the age of the coat. This is an awesome group!! I might have to look more into vintage in the future!

peaceful vintage and Pinkcoke like this.
  16. KCQTexas

Wow! I sent the pictures to the furrier and asked for a price to clean and glaze the coat and he came back with $55! That is certainly affordable and worth my taking it in to him. He said based on the button and the the pictures he is calling it a "RahRah" coat from the 30's-40's - I'm going to take it into him this weekend and have them do the cleaning for me. Just wish I wouldn't have been so quick to pull the trigger on buying the Lana's cleaning solution. Oh well! :USETHUMBUP:

17. peaceful vintage

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is quite an accomplishment!! I can relate. I have lost about 125 lbs over the past year myself.

That's a great price the furrier gave you too to. Excellent. We differ on dating thoughts a little bit but I am sure he will do an excellent job cleaning and repairing if he is a reputable furrier. :)

KCQTexas likes this.
  18. KCQTexas

Congrats on your weight loss too Caryn! Sure makes you feel a lot better doesn't it? I'm not overly concerned on the dates to be honest- I'm just so excited with the coat and thrilled with the price he gave me to professionally clean and glaze it. Thanks again for everything!

19. peaceful vintage

Yes it does. I have a bit of trouble shopping for clothing now because it is hard for me to really grasp my current size which is so much different than my old plus size but I am so happy to have lost the weight and I can understand you being too. You look beautiful. :)

KCQTexas likes this.
  20. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The furrier and I agree on possible age of this fun fur coat. I think it is late 1930's or early 1940's. I am going more on the shape, buttons, and construction details. Also, in my country experience where fur coats were needed for everday winter wear raccoon was considered more utilitarian and longer wearing. I bow to others as to whether that was true or not, but I remember farm women wearing similar coats. Glad the exact decade(s) are not important to you because it is a wonderful find. Enjoy!
    Marian

KCQTexas likes this.