1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Era of this Racoon Fur Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by KCQTexas, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Caryn, I wondered what you made of that triangular neck piece in the lining and the decorative chain looped trim on this piece and the pocket lining too. Is it something you've seen before? is it just decorative or does it strengthen, provide weighting or some other purpose?

KCQTexas likes this.
  2. KCQTexas

KCQTexas Registered Guest

Thanks Marian!! I was trying to figure out if it was a womans coat or a mans coat, but the buttons are on the left so if the rule is true, I'm betting on it being a womans style. I'm certainly not going to stress over the decade of the coat for sure. I love that it is classic in style and it just makes me smile so that is all I'm concerned with! Of course my friends and family think I'm nuts but then that isn't anything new! I even had one friend say "old raccoon- I think not" LOL

Caryn- you look beautiful too! I can completely relate to not knowing where to even begin to shop! I actually found myself completely overwhelmed when I hit misses sizes by all the choices I had now that I never had before. At that point I found a great Image Consultant and saved up my pennies to do a 3 hour shopping trip with her to find my "style". She helped me to see what cuts fit my new body well and I have just improved and streamlined my style from there. My friends tell me I dress "Rich Texas Woman" because I love cowboy boots, long skirts, jackets and big chunky jewelry these days. If they only knew how frugal I really am and all the deals that I have found along the way that look expensive but cost me next to nothing!

3. KCQTexas

Melanie- I also noticed the fancy point edging on this pic that I missed posting and wondered about it too.

Attached Files:

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Where is that on the garment?

5. KCQTexas

It is actually on the side of the front lapel/collar if I'm not mistaken- I will have to double check when I get home. I just thought it was unusual and kinda neat.

6. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

The triangular piece was intended to make that section of the coat stronger so the full weight of the lining was not stressed either when hung on a fur coat hanger or on the hook of a coat rack which is what that loop at the neckline is for.

As for this being a late 30s to early 40s coat. The styles throughout time do look similar but if this were a late 30s or early 40s coat I would have expected the shape of the bottom to be a bit fuller with the top being more more fitted, the collar being smaller, and the shoulders having a cap or puff style like the ones shown in this 1939 photo of faux lamb and real lamb fur coats. Maybe not all of these features I mentioned would be present but I would have expected some of them which were fitting to that time.

1939fauxandreallamb.JPG

Pinkcoke and KCQTexas like this.