1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating 2 dresses bought as 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by kellyb, Oct 14, 2014.

1. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Hi everyone, I’ve had these dresses for a while and I’ve been struggling to put a date to them, they were sold to me as 70s but they have me confused and I’m sure the first one at least is earlier
    The first is a felted wool I think, it has embroidered makers label (I haven’t been able to find any info at all on the company) 11.5 inch metal YKK zip in right side seam- suggests earlier than 70s and unusual as side zips are usually on the left, and all seams are unfinished, no serging or pinking etc.
    The second feels like cotton, has the remains of a small cloth label, no zips just 4 buttons to fasten the bodice, the print reminds me of some I‘ve seen from the 40s with those circular shapes with a lacy edging (for want of a better description!) skirt is bias cut, has pleated puff shoulders and again the seams are all unfinished
    This is my first post in Q&A so I hope I’ve done it right:)
    I would be really grateful for any opinions
    Thanks in advance
    Kelly

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The first dress is definitely 70s - early-ish 72-73 maybe? The other dress looks like the older one but its hard to read from the pics - it might be some 80s retro-thing, but hard to tell without handling.

3. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i'm thinking the same as jonathan on the first one, although a manufactured dress with a zipper on the right side is strange, and something i've not seen before. the fact that it's marked a size medium is a good tip that it's not earlier.

can you post a close-up shot of the buttons, including the print on the second one? and what kind of hem does it have - how deep, and how was it sewn?

4. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Hi Jonathan and Joan, thank you for your quick responses. It was the side zip and 'medium' label that were confusing me. Here are some photos of the second dress showing a button and the print and hem (I think the buttons look quite late but hard to tell if they are a replacement), the hem is narrow and is machine sewn but again I can't tell if it has been taken up at some point. It does kind of feel older and has repairs under arms, some popped seams etc. but maybe it was just worn a lot!
    Thanks to you both again for your help

Attached Files:

5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

That's a terrific print! That dress sure appears to be 40s & not 70s.

6. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Hi thespectrum Yes its fab isn't it? I bought it because loved the print, it definitely has a 40s look to me but some aspects appear later, very confusing!

7. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

all i could find on synco-mates was it was a canadian manufacturer with a short life, starting and ending in the early 70s.

i'm still on the fence with the second dress. the print looks more detailed and complex than what you'd see in retro fabric from the 80s. the buttons could be 50s, or repros. i'm not sure. it's either 50s or 80s! is there a hook and eye closure at the waist?

8. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I was going to put it at late 40s to early 50s.
    And I was wondering what the skirt opening looked like in front below the waist.

9. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

On that 2nd dress, the 40s or early 50s looking day dress one, have you tried to turn down the collar. I am wondering if it is meant to be a small peter pan collar?

10. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Hi, thank you for the info on synco-mates, thats interesting. There are just the buttons to fasten with no hook and eye at waist and no opening to the skirt

11. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Yes, I'm starting to think early 50s, the bodice fastens to the waist but there is no opening to the skirt

12. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Hi Mary Jane, thank you for your message. Yes I did try to turn the collar down as I was thinking the same thing but it doesn't sit right when turned down

13. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

this one is a puzzler. the pleated/puffed sleeve shoulders is really what's throwing me. the only periods you see that is late 30s to early 40s or late 70s to early 80s, but the colors and print and the rest of the dress don't say either period. if it were home-sewn, that could explain it, but it has that small old tag, which says it was manufactured. maddening when you have conflicting clues like this!

if pressed to the wall, i'd go with early 50s.

14. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Hi Joan, thanks so much for all of your help, yes I am starting to think early 50s, maybe this is just one of those confusing ones! Also I think by the bodice length this may be a dress for teens (the neck opening is also extremely small), I wonder if having been made for a child/younger person this has an influence on the styling

15. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

hi kelly,

i thought i'd said this is my last post, but obviously not. is the print of hats? looks like it from here :). it's a really neat print, with great colors.

it definitely is one of those confusing ones, lol! what are the measurements? bust, waist, mid shoulder to waist, mid shoulder to hem? it could be made for a teen or junior size.

16. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Hi Joan, yes I love the print and colours, it does look like hats from a distance especially with the flowers, but close up not so much, just a bit abstract!
    Measurements are bust 34" waist 32" (does have belt loops so I guess belt would be used to draw in the waist) shoulder to waist 14.5" shoulder to hem 41.5"

17. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

hey kelly,

they do look like hats with posies from here, but a cool design even if they're not :)

with those measurements, it does sound like it's a dress for a small woman or a teen, although it may be shortwaisted because it's cotton and it shrank a bit. i often find shortwaisted dresses from the 40s through the 50s.

what kind of belt loops? can you posst a shot? they might be the final clue that tells is when it's from.

18. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Here is a pic of a belt loop, hope it helps!

Attached Files:

19. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

it does, early 50s it is! a 70s or 80s beltloop would look very different, probably just a thread belt loop. what a relief :D

20. kellyb

kellyb Registered Guest

Brilliant, that's what I was hoping! Thanks so much Joan for your help, I love the dress anyway but it's great to put a date to it. I've learnt a lot this evening thank you for taking the time to help
    Hope to talk again :)
    Kelly