1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help finding a blanket from 1970

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Broncothor, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Broncothor

Broncothor Registered Guest

I just joined this forum hoping you can help me. My wife got a blanket when she was 7 years old and she slept with it as a security blanket all the way up to our first few years of marriage. Then she left it in a hotel. She has used other blankets since, but they are not the same as "blank-blank". I am trying to find another one for her for Christmas, but I am having no luck. The blanket was bought by her mother sometime in the early 1970s but she does not remember where. The blanket was pink (and also came in blue), and was either cotton or polyester we believe. The color was only on one side, the other side was lined with a white cotton material.

If anyone can help me identify this blanket, or help me find one I would be very grateful. It would be such a great surprise for her as she has been without it for over 15 years.

Thanks!

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

What a nice thought for a present. Can you describe the weave of the blanket at all? Was a it plain, textured, or tufted like chenille or candlewick? Was it a child size blanket?

I'm trying to think what kind of blanket would be lined... maybe a chenille baby blanket?

Was the lining brushed cotton?

if we can find the right terms to describe it, you'll have a much better chance of finding one.

3. Broncothor

She only had a tattered piece of it. It seems it was maybe the size of a single bed? I am not great at fabric, but it seems the pink side was attached to the white side in a tufted or quilted type of stitch? The white side was soft and over time became shredded as it same loose from the pink side. I will look back through old photos and try to find a picture, but I don't know that it was ever in a picture. It was very soft, but I don't know if it was polyester, or cotton or something else.

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I have some thin blankets that came in blue and pink, one sided, but they are not white on the back, just not fluffy. It sounds as though it was quilted together with another fabric which might have been a more delicate fabric, and the whole blanket might well have been older than the 70's. If you can get a photo of any part it would help.

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Where did your wife live as a child, this could also help in pinpointing where the blanket may have been made.

6. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Sounds to me like the polyester bedspreads like from Sears in 1970s. Like a squishy foam but quilted.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  7. Broncothor

You guys are great. My wife lived in the Atlanta area. Also, this blanket was really thin. It was not really puffy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. Broncothor

picture!!

9. poppysvintageclothing

Your photo isn't coming up, it might be too large...just click the thumbnail format, that might help.

10. Broncothor

Tell me if you can see it below.

11. Broncothor

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2014
  12. poppysvintageclothing

I made it larger...as it is was not too large a photo for the forums.

Sorry though I can't help to id it.

13. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

We had these -- it's a bedspread, would that be right? It's like a poly fill and after several washings, the underside starts to pill. Does this sound right?

14. Broncothor

Thanks. Can you tell what material it is. How would I describe it in a search. The little diamond shapes...is that tufted or quilted? I am hoping that someone on here can ID it, if not, I hope to get some technical descriptions for a better search.

Thanks again!

15. Broncothor

That sounds exactly right. Do you still have these? Do you know how I can find one?

16. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Broncothor, I'll place a call tomorrow. No promises though, because I'm not sure if they're still at the old house, but I'll check.

In the meantime, I think Foofoogal hit the nail on the head, and maybe use her description as keywords. I'll search online as well.

17. Broncothor

Awesome! Thanks!

18. Retro Ruth

Yes it's quilted not tufted, probably polyester. Bedspread is a better word than blanket. It would probably have been more puffy when it was new, but the filling has broken down.

19. Retro Ruth

20. Retro Ruth