1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miniature handmade Malm fireplace

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Robin of Frocksley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I'm not sure how many of you all are interested in vintage home decor, but I thought I'd share my attempt to reproduce (in miniature) a vintage Malm freestanding fireplace. I've always loved the very 60's vibe of these fireplaces. I've attempted to decorate the room in a mixed vintage (up to the early 70's) style, and would be happy to share more pictures if anyone is interested. Thanks for letting me share, and apologies if this isn't the correct place to post this.
    IMG_20150225_113904_632.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Love it! I was just looking at some house minatures yesterday....I don't have a doll's house, I just like minature things!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  3. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

great job! it does look just like one.

my first boyfriend had one in his first apartment. we just called them 'swedish fireplaces' back then. i loved it.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

That's great! Please share more photos of your miniature room(s.) My mother built a house on Kauai in 1970-1971 and had a fireplace like this - in white. I'll try to find a photo.

Linn

5. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks, everyone! So glad to hear that others have warm memories of these fireplaces.

6. Robin of Frocksley

I would love to see a photo of your mother's fireplace, Linn! I'll bet the rest of her decor was equally chic. Here are a couple more shots of the living room, which needs art on the walls and a more appropriate (less modern) minibar. The other photo is of the kitchen, which features a set of kitchen furniture (including icebox) that gives it a farmhouse vibe. I included close-ups of the brass record player and the rotary phone, as those are two of my favorites. Thanks for inviting me to share more!
    IMG_20150225_143644_839.jpg IMG_20150225_143959_725.jpg IMG_20150225_144348_384.jpg IMG_20150225_144256_324.jpg IMG_20150225_144334_403.jpg

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Oh my gosh, I had that gold brocade chair, the blue sparkle chair and the piano as a child! Petite Princess was that the line? I had almost all of it. Very ritzy.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Love that sparkle chair and the boomerang table too!

Thanks for sharing!

9. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks so much, Mary Jane, the boomerang table was my first handmade miniature. Yes, Hollis, the line was called Petite Princess, and their furnishings are so ritzy!

10. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think your Malm fireplace looks perfect.

If you ever visit the Chicago Museum of Art, they have a collection of miniature room settings that are astounding.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This is so cool! I love miniatures too, though mine are usually a tad bigger - I collect Barbie dolls and like to create displays for them with realistic-looking accessories.

12. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks, Karin. I'd love to see your displays!

foofoogal likes this.
  13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

14. Robin of Frocksley

Oh my goodness, Karin! Love your displays, the fashion is so fabulous!

15. Annie Kampfe

Annie Kampfe Registered Guest

Robin--
    I know this is 2 years later but can you share how you made the miniature version of the Malm fireplace? I am starting a mid century dollhouse project

16. Robin of Frocksley

Hi, Annie! I would be happy to share. Here is what I recall of my process:

I started by planning where in my mini room I wanted to install the fireplace and then took measurements.
    I then studied images of actual Malm fireplaces to get a sense of the shape and proportions I wanted.

It went something like this:
    The chimney of the fireplace is a cardboard tube (from a paper towel roll), cut lengthwise to adjust the diameter and then glued.
    The cone-shaped fireplace hood is a red Solo cup (lol!), with the bottom of the cup cut out, a slit halfway down the back to tighten the top of the cone, and a semi-circle cut out of the front lip of the cup for the fireplace opening.
    The floor/bottom of the fireplace is the circular insert of a pint sized ball jar lid. The feet are bits of cocktail straws.
    I used another ball jar lid (with collar) to make the "sand pit" it stands on.
    I painted all the parts (brick red on the outside, black for the floor, pit and feet and inside of the hood) before assembly.
    All the parts are glued together. The fireplace is not glued into the ceiling but simply slides in snugly.
    I made the fireplace to 1/12 scale, so YMMV (your materials may vary).
    I had to make the hood at least twice, so don't give up if it's tricky.

Hope this helps and good luck!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.