1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help date this Jack Bryan dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Jun 26, 2013.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

This label isn't in the label directory. It is a Jack Bryan designed by Dupuis. I can't seem to find a biography on him. 60's? Egyptian style collar?

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Love the decoration!

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a link to a blog with information about Jack Bryan and DuPuis. I can't confirm the accuracy of the information:

Code:
    http://sydneysvintageclothing.com/cart/pages/California_Fashion_Designers.html

4. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Very interested read. Thanks. So Jack Bryan was married to Miss Elliette and DuPuis designed for him. The blog doesn't say when this was, but I think I am close with late 60's. I love Miss Elliette dresses too because they are so feminine.

5. Providing it has not been shortened, that is 1960's. The shape of that collar is Egyptian inspired and makes me wonder if it's not a little earlier than the late 60's.

6. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I think it might have been a full length gown at one time. The hem has hem tape. How would this fact change the age?

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see early 1960s in the dress. The type of crystal and pearl embellishment was very popular in the early 1960s, and the general cut of the dress also. Also, the film "Cleopatra" had a brief but strong influence on women's fashions, and I suspect this may have been the inspiration for this dress. The film came out in 1963.

8. Richard Du Puis

Richard Du Puis Registered Guest

I designed for Miss Elliette until Jack and she split up, then Jack formed the company Jack Bryan, and I took my group and went with him. This was in the late 60s. Before that I designed for Neal of California. I am amazed at seeing things that I made that long ago. I am watching for my Neal of California Gowns to come out. They were mostly made in silk and wool and higher priced. I hope that I have answered you question. Thank you for your interest , at this stage of my life, that is a blessing.
    9:41 PM 5/4/2015
    Dick Du Puis

9. PastPiecesVintage

PastPiecesVintage VFG Member

Mr. Du Puis, thank you so much for responding. Thank you for designing such beautiful clothing as well. :wub: Blessings to you.

10. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I thought Elizabeth Taylor as soon as I saw it. I agree with Barbara. Very cute.

11. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Mr. Du Puis, thank you for sharing the information and posting on our forums. I see a number of "Neal of California" pieces on ETSY.

12. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you for letting us know, Mr. Du Puis. I saw the Cleopatra influence as well with that beautiful neckline!

13. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Love, love, love when tidbits of History and designers are shown here on VFG boards.
    Kudos to you and thanks Mr. Du Puis. I will have to keep an eye out for the Neal of California gowns now.

14. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Thank you posting on our forum Mr. Du Puis! I've always loved the Du Puis dresses I have come across. I will be on the look out for your Neal of California Gowns. :)

Kim Chaffi likes this.
  15. susanandco

susanandco Registered Guest

So exciting to find this info here. I was having trouble dating my Jack Bryan polka dot chiffon dress. It has the Jack Bryan label only, with a cardboard label under that was clipped out by previous owner. It has a circle skirt with fitted bodice and long sleeves. What do you think the date would be?

Attached Files:

16. Dfoley

Dfoley Registered Guest

Dear Richard Du Puis,

I recently have stored away my wedding dress which I bought from a vintage wedding dress shop in London. The label says Jack Bryan and I wondered if you made it? Could tell me more about it? It’s such a beautiful dress.
    Thanks
    Debbie

Attached Files:

17. Siren Riot

Siren Riot Registered Guest

Hello Mr. Du Puis - I also have one of your rare beauties and was looking for information on it!
    I haven't been able to find this exact dress anywhere, and the style & most other things are handwritten in on the cardboard tag under the cloth Jack Bryan by DUPUIS tag. I'm almost wondering if it was possibly a custom made order... Either way, if you or anyone else could help me find or nail down any information on it, I'd be extremely grateful!
    Thanks in advance! (The RN says I believe 40848) Screenshot_20230126_153447_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files: