1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Postcard Novelty Print

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Delaney52, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Delaney52

Delaney52 Registered Guest

Here's a close-up of the water skiier. I love the bikini in the ad you posted; I have quite a similar one from the 50s by Cole of California! If I am able to locate the date, I will add a picture of that as well. Yes, I agree about the buttons; I wondered if they are not original, but I can't tell if they've been replaced or not.

Attached Files:

2. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

This is a fascinating thread.

Since it's a fantasy print & a dressmaker/homesewn garment, it's very tricky to date it.
    Looks like an older zipper & older buttons.
    Laying flat on the floor the silhouette looks older too.
    And the measurements also say older.
    Could be newer fabric, made with older notions from an older pattern.
    Or, it could be early 1960s all the way.
    I will be curious to see the results of the burn test.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I am looking for signs of the 80s to convince me but at the moment I'm seeing earlier. Here is my similarly styled 1980s Topshop dress for comparison, keeping in mind this dress was commercially produced, the large, almost oversize, collar continues unbroken round the back and it has a nylon zip underneath, you have to duck into it. The skirt has a built in underskirt, upper half satin, lower net ruffles.
    [​IMG]

Thinking of my own 80s version, my thoughts are your dress has no lining, hence it probably would have been worn with garments underneath, such as a slip and/or petticoat, which was commonplace in the 50s/60s but not so much in the 80s/90s.
    The collar being open at the back allows a proper zip opening to get into which is more work to create. I haven't seen a photo of the back of the collar but it appears to have sharp pointed lapels, I have a few 80s dresses in this style and they all have collars that continue round the back like a drape.
    I also thought when the water-skiier was mentioned, that wearing a swimming cap with a bikini was more fashionable in the 50s-60s and that I couldn't recall one being worn with a fashion swimsuit in the 80s, only sporty swimsuits.
    I can't tell from just the photos so could you measure the length of the skirt from waist to hem please? and show a photo of the back of the dress, to see the back collar shape properly.

4. Delaney52

I am actually soaking the dress at the moment. It was rather filthy, regardless of age. I'm not sure if this is at all relevant, but as I'm washing it it's emitting a dark yellow/brown substance characteristic of years of exposure to cigarette smoke. When it's finished, though, I'd be happy to add the photos you requested!

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Linn,

Sorry if I was not clear. I was not inferring that no one wore a 2 piece swimsuit in the 1950s. Of course they did! I am well aware of the history of the bikini and swim suits in general and know that 2 piece suits were worn in the 1950s (and 1940s), but the woman in the print on the dress is wearing a suit bottom with very high cut legs, not anything like the more modest "boy legs" you show in your ad. Her top is also very skimpy. It just does not look like a 1950s 2 piece to me, although the bottom has a high waist, so..maybe? But again, this is the artist rendering and he can draw it any way he/she wanted, taking elements from different eras. I don't think it is a good clue after all, since it is a fantasy drawing.

A woman wearing a bikini on an American beach in the 1950s would probably have been arrested. Seriously.

I also would like to see a close up of the buttons.

And I am sticking to my 1980s date.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  6. Delaney52

Here are pictures of the back, the back and side views of collar, and the buttons.

Attached Files:

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Have you checked the selvedge to see if a maker or print name is shown? It almost looks like a linen to me from the photos and I
    have to say that I do find it does look older as in 50s. It's very difficult to be certain without handling it as it is seamstress made so could have been made used older fabric.

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Here is my similarly styled '80's dress - photo taken in 1988!

[​IMG]

I used to call it my "couch" dress. It was a highly polished cotton chintz. I think it had a side zipper but I really don't remember and unfortunately I didn't keep it! I think Delaney's dress looks like cotton or a cotton/linen blend in the photos but hopefully when it dries she can do a burn test.

Be careful of the buttons when you take it out to dry it. They should not have gotten wet - the faux pearl finish might or could come off. (Learned the hard way.)

I am interested in how long it is, also.

Linn

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Linn you look fabulous!

10. Delaney52

Agreed, what a wonderful photo! Thanks for sharing! :) I have not found a label anywhere, but I will look again in the selvedge. I did conduct a burn test, but I'm not entirely confident in interpreting the results. It appeared similar to an image of a linen burn test, so perhaps it's linen? The length from waist to hem is just over 29".

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm seeing earlier - as in 50s - too. The shape without the manni, the seams, the zipper (ok, I know a home sewer could have used an older one, but still...).