1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made in Hong Kong(Clothing)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by macher, Jan 3, 2016.

1. macher

macher Registered Guest

Hi new user here and into vintage clothing. Have a question about clothing made in Hong Kong and whether or not it can be considered vintage.

Wouldn't clothing with made in Hong Kong on the label be 1997 or prior since Hong Kong was under Britain? A friend of mine is telling me clothing that is made in Hong Kong has been replaced by made in China which means a piece that is made in HK has to be 1997 or prior.

Is this correct or not?

Thanks!

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Certainly there are vintage items marked made in Hong Kong as items made there quite popular in the 1950s and 1960s such as beaded shell tops and jaquard weave garments.
    Your friend's theory sounds plausible to me, but I'm not sure it could be used categorically, as there is nothing to stop manufacturers continuing to label things made in Hong Kong after 1997. I would be using it more as a guide, that an item marked as such is more likely to be prior than post 1997, but other dating factors should also be taken into consideration.

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I'm not sure about the switch from Hong Kong to China on labels in 1997, but I'm quite sure most VFG member wouldn't call something from 1997 or later 'vintage'. What I keep an eye out for is the older label - "Made in British Crown Colony of Hong Kong" which was used a lot on quality clothing in the 1950's and 1960's and right into the early '80's.

However, I speak for myself and hopefully more knowledgeable folks will chip in. (Cross posted with Melanie).

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Amanda makes a good point about the style of language used on the label can also indicate when it was made to some extent. I tend to see Made in the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong on earlier (50s/60s) pieces. When you get to just Made in Hong Kong its getting later.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The label on this handbag is simply "Made in Hong Kong" and I am pretty sure it is older - C. 1950's - not newer. [​IMG]

cmpollack likes this.
  6. macher

macher Registered Guest

Doesn't say made in the British Crown Colony?

7. Louise burkholder

Louise burkholder Registered Guest

Linn, with regards to your wicker bag - my sister and I carried these in jr highscho0l, circa 1970. They were Made in Hong Kong, came in white, black and oatmeal.

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I have heard this too, that Made in Hong Kong came to be replaced with Made In China after 1997, but I haven't seen definite evidence of it. As said above, it's hard to be sure or definitive about it, and there's no reason someone couldn't put Made in Hong Kong on a label today.

Dating garments is almost always about putting together a series of clues, rather than one particular thing giving you the information.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My mom had that purse in the mid to late 1960s, in white. I remember the paint used to chip off and leave a trail....ha ha ha.

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I bought a little saucer in Kowloon (part of Hong Kong) in 1974 that is marked Made in China. I use it every day as a spoon rest. I have many, many plates, saucers and dishes that are antiques marked "China". and some newer (still older - C. 1980s) marked "Made in China".

The handbag is in really good condition - just looked. It is slightly "off-white." It must have oxidized. I have had it about 11 years. The paint is not chipping; just a little oxidation (and slight rusting) to the metal. It is lined in white plastic.

Here I am using it in 2009! It looks pretty white. The photo was taken either before or after a performance of "Peter Pan" put on by Ballet Hawaii. I don't have the dress or the shoes anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  11. Jaclyn Dobson

Jaclyn Dobson Registered Guest

IMG_20200506_170721.jpg
    Label found inside 50s/60s beaded cardigan :D

Retro Ruth likes this.