1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Sonni California hat - 40s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Linda B, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

Photos below! I have no clue what era this hat is from - 30s? 40s? 50s? Could use some help!

Hat itself is velvet. Has netting that goes over the face which is beaded with VERY tiny beads towards the crown. Feathers are on the top and extend over the back of the hat.

Brand in label is SONNI CALIFORNIA.

Attached Files:

cmpollack and peaceful vintage like this.
  2. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

I am not an expert in the field of hats but my first thought is it might be from the 1950's. There are some very knowledgeable members here and I am sure one of them will pop in to give you more reliable information you are seeking. It is beautiful!

3. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

Thank you so much! It's really a pretty hat - needs some serious love, but I was thinking 40s-50s, too.

4. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

oh, how darling it is! As far as I can tell from the photos, looks like early 1950s to me. Did you try looking up that label on our label resource tool? Seems rather obscure, but I always check as I have been surprised to find what I'm looking for at times.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  5. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

I did look it up, and didn't see Sonni, unfortunately. It looks like Sonni has been around for many decades, but had a resurgence in the 80s. I really don't THINK this is an 80s hat, but want to be sure. ;) Thank you!

6. PersonalPursuits

PersonalPursuits VFG Member

Here is some information about the company and yes, it is still in business.

Sonni Of California Inc
    Sonni Hats Of California
    1933 Peralta St
    Oakland, CA 94607 - View Map

Sonni Of California Inc

A privately held company in Oakland, CA. Is this your business? Claim This Profile

More Details for Sonni Of California Inc
    Categorized under Women's, Misses', and Children's Hats, Trimmed. Our records show it was established in 1952 and incorporated in California. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 4000000 and employs a staff of approximately 25.

Company Contacts
    Is this your business? Claim This Profile

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, it is a 1950s hat, looks to be mid decade. While I cannot be sure from the photos, the feathers may have been added or re-arranged. It is nice little hat.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Note: Sonni labels of the 1980s were printed (stamped) on a poly satin, where the earlier labels such as yours were machine embroidered on a nice rayon satin, faille, or similar fabric. They did a line of revival styles in the late 80 and early 90s, but the label will help tell that it is a later hat. Also, the lining is a good clue. After the 1960s you seldom would find a lining of any kind in a Sonni hat.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  8. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

Very possible, re: the feathers. They're the part that's not in great shape.

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hmmm. Upon a closer look, I do see several black thread stitches that go through the lining. This is usually a sign that the trims have been added after the hat was originally made.

10. jazzbug

jazzbug Alumni

Fascinating, Barbara! So glad you're here to lend your expertise!

11. Linda B

Linda B Registered Guest

Thank you, Barbara! I will make sure to note that!

12. Linda, I love it.....such a sweet little hat and it certainly looks like early 1950s to me. I have had some lovely 1980s hats from this maker. But I really enjoyed seeing this earlier label. Thanks for your post and pics and will look forward to seeing more hats from you in the future!:clapping:

cmpollack and peaceful vintage like this.
  13. Mokay

Mokay Registered Guest

Hi Linda, I was the "sample model" for Sonni from 1963 to 1966, my Mom Margarett Goodwin was Sonni's bookkeeper/office manager. This hat was from about 64 or 65 it was considered a "cocktail hat"at the time, the netting and feathers were part of the original hat. hope that answers some of your questions. My Mom actually had this hat in her "collection" Sonni's Dad was the second or third largest hat manufacturer in the USA up until the '60's when the beehive and other hairstyles made it hard to put a hat on top of it ;-) His name was Del Delmonico, named after his Dad and always introduced as "Sonni", thus the name of his company.

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you for all that additional info, Mokay. Always, good to hear from the close sources.

15. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Amazing and a pleasure to meet you!!

16. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Mokay, I love hearing first hand stories!!! I am wondering if you (or someone else here) knows anything about these two Sonni hats. I am wondering if they are part of the 20s revival styles from the 80s or earlier ones from the 50s.

IMG_2781.JPG IMG_2782.JPG IMG_2783.JPG IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2787.JPG IMG_2789.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG IMG_2833.JPG IMG_2834.JPG IMG_2836.JPG IMG_2838.JPG
    Thank you
    Victoria

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  17. SusieQsie

SusieQsie Registered Guest

That is amazing! So cool! I was wondering if you could also ID a Sonni hat for me? I believe it's 60s, has an embroidered vs. printed logo but no lining inside.

Attached Files: