1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Canadian Manufactured Clothing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by House of Wayback, Aug 5, 2016.

1. House of Wayback

House of Wayback Registered Guest

Hi there,

First post, newbie vintage seller here. I have a lot of vintage Canadian manufactured clothing and I'm trying to date it. I have searched the CA ID Numbers here: http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/app/cb/cn...-_sdbwHkK_vOsJOs-MhcKO:1247mv5k6?language=eng
    but I am getting a dates of manufacture coming back as 1997 or 1993 when the item of clothing is most certainly not form the 90's but much earlier. All of the items I'm having trouble with are not on the Vintage Label resource here on VFG either so I'm not really getting anywhere!

Does anyone know of a better way to specifically date Canadian manufactured clothing? Is there a year that anyone knows of where the Canadian government required care instructions on labels? A couple of the items that I have don't have care instructions on them so that might help with dating those items......but not with all of them.

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

This post explains why the majority of CA number entries give the same year:
    http://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/posts/313522/

Worded care instructions were around earlier but the symbols were fixed in 1956 if I remember the year correctly, and tumble dry was added in 1985.

You will find the majority of items with detailed material content on them date from post 1970 as various laws came into force at that time worldwide requiring this information to be present on items for sale. It could be on a hang tag and not necessarily the item itself however. This is also when the leather symbol came into frequent use, for that reason, and also to differentiate from the myriad of man made imitation materials now available and in use.

I know most St Michael garments are dated, either by a code on the reverse of the care label (60s/70s) or later by the copyright year next to the Marks and Spencer name. (80s+)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    House of Wayback likes this.
  3. House of Wayback

House of Wayback Registered Guest

Thanks for the informative reply Pincoke! Much appreciated!

4. JanelleThorsen

JanelleThorsen Registered Guest

Hello, I was wondering how to gain access to read the article linked. Thank you

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Midge likes this.