1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stanley Philipson - Need help dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by sernst, Aug 13, 2016.

1. sernst

sernst Registered Guest

Hello! I am new to the forum, but did a thorough search on here (and the internet) but am still having trouble getting an approx decade for these AWESOME Stanley Philipson shoes I found at the local thrift store. Is anyone here knowledgeable with Stanley Philipsons?

IMG_4281.JPG IMG_4284.JPG IMG_4285.JPG IMG_4289.JPG

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Most shoes that I have had from this brand have been 1980 -90s. A quality shoe with vintage style.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would expect an almond-shaped, black sole, and a slimmer heel for the 80s, I think this is mid-late 50s, c. 1956ish

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you show a profile/direct side on view and a direct view of the bottom (in hand) please. Also can you read what the boutique name is on the other label?

5. Here are mine. I have had several by this brand. Quality leather soles and workmanship. But sized wrong. If marked a 9 it will be a 7 for example.

ps 3.jpg 80s vtg pastel slides bettesbargains shoes.jpg

Not that I am doubting anyone else

6. It appears he did make some earlier shoes. Here is one from 1955.
    The sole is leather as are his modern ones. He must have continued with the same high quality style and workmanship

[​IMG]

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

these are GORGEOUS, Suzanne!

8. sernst

sernst Registered Guest

Thank you for all of your responses! I will try to get more pictures up tonight. It looks like it says "Two Sisters Boutique" but I will have to look at them closer when I get home!!

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Those look late 70s early 80s to me

10. sernst

sernst Registered Guest

The other label reads "Two Sisters Bootique", and here are a few more pictures. Thanks again for all your help thus far!
    IMG_4306.JPG IMG_4307.JPG IMG_4308.JPG IMG_4309.JPG

11. sernst

sernst Registered Guest

bump?

12. Agree with mid to late '50s.

13. sernst

sernst Registered Guest

Thank you!

14. Heather Maston

Heather Maston Registered Guest

Hi! In trying to date a pair of Stanley Philipson heels that I also found in a thrift shop I came across this thread and wondered if anyone could help :)

Attached Files:

15. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I am not an expert but they look 50s or early 60s to me. @Jonathan would be able to help for sure

16. Hi Heather, they do look '50s inspired but I think they might be more modern than that. My first thought was early '80s because the silhouette is just like a pair I bought in late '82. The 'genuine leather' stamp suggests post '50s too. I can't recall exactly when that came in, but I think it was in the '60s.

The printed sizing and other numbers also suggests not authentic '50s because most real '50s shoes have hand-written details (as per other shoes higher up in the thread).

17. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Nicole, I thought the B after the size was a pre-70s type measure for width vs the later N/M/W. Is that not so?

18. Victoria, the width systems vary from country to country (as well as time to time). I'm not familiar enough with US widths of the '80s but I did find a pair of '80s shoes on Etsy with the same silhouette, sizing system (8 1/2B) and style of label.

19. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

We still use B C D E etc here in the UK, though B, which is quite narrow, is not common. Most regular shoes are C or D, and although I do see wider fit shoes, I don't often see narrow ones. This may just be because my feet on are the wide side so I'm less aware of them.

Clarks for instance offer D as standard fit, but have some shoes available in E. I think I'm right that certain manufacturers use C as their standard fit, rather than D.

Many manufacturers however don't mention the width unless they are marketing that they have a variety of widths available.

The above is about modern day shoes. I think standards may have changed over time? Just as they have with clothing sizes.

And it may be that B means something different in the USA, width wise

My first thought was that these shoes were later in 20th century, not 50s/60s but more like 80s as Nicole suggested. That's just a hunch, I'm not that knowledgeable about shoes.