1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Antique Dress with a Bonus

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by lkranieri, Mar 22, 2017.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I bought this dress a couple of weeks ago at an estate sale and when I went to pay for it they asked if I saw the photo of it. I raced back upstairs and found the lovely photo here of a pretty young woman wearing that very dress.

The back of the photo has a note:

"Madeleine Mastin Day
    2/21/92 - 1/14/82
    married 6/14/18
    Haynes Harold Fellows
    7/14/91 - 10/5/82"

I didn't notice until I tried to scan the photo, while in the frame, that there was apparently a pink ribbon running down both sides of the dress front top.
    MatchingDressAndPhoto.jpg

MatchingDressInPhotoComp.jpg

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Wow! What a wonderful fine!

lkranieri likes this.
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It was, indeed! Thanks.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

How wonderful to get the photo with it...lovely tea gown!!!! Love those cutouts on the skirt side panels.

lkranieri likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I like them, too, but what confuses me is you don't see them in the photo. As I prepared the dress for storage I noticed the back of the skirt looks more like the front in the photo and I wonder if I had it on the mannequin backwards. The back of the bodice as it was on the mannequin looks the same as the front, but the hooks and eyes (which probably should have been on the front, correct?) drew the two crenelated sides of the bodice together so snugly that the bodice didn't look like the photo either. Perhaps they moved the hooks and eyes at some point...

6. Beautiful find. I would think the hooks would be in the front.

But it makes me sad when the family doesn't keep these treasures.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Might the dress have been updated? The picture with her upswept hair and the pouched front to the bodice I would have said was c. 1911-1912, but when I saw the skirt I was surprised because it looks more 1913-1914.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

That's a very interesting suggestion, Jonathan. I took the dress back out of the box and although I just did a quick look it didn't seem to have a later addition--but I just don't see evidence in the photo of those crenelated panels. I will try to photograph that part later. Thanks.

10. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Very cool!

11. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

That's a spectacular piece. I love it when you find something of historical value included in the garment.

12. Wow! How wonderful was this find! And, it's so nice to see the original owner in the dress!

13. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Coolest thing ever. I am also a daisyholic lately. Sunflowers work also.

So fabulous.

14. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

How great that they pointed out the photo to you. Lovely Purchase Lynne.