1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assistance appreciated... Germaine LeComte Scarf

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bycinbyhand, Apr 3, 2017.

1. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Looking at the scarf... is there an event or film that rings a bell?

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

This stands out... 1940s

Attached Files:

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I know nothing about her and I don't speak French, so you will have to use the name as a springboard for research. I do note, however, that she was the illustrator of THIS BOOK and if you flip through the pages of the book you will see her (partial) signature on the illustrations, as you can see below here. The "H" in her signature looks like the "H" on your scarf...
    HenrietteDeCostierSig1.jpg HenrietteDeCostierSig2.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I love it when a fashion mystery leads to another intriguing personality and new puzzle!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, it is similar, although that is a different artist altogether on that fashion sketch you show.

I do think it is Henriette, and the way she makes her "H" is so similar also.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Beautiful illustrations! Thank you for sharing!

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Definitely see a similarity. ; ))

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been able to find much more on Henriette de Costier on Google.fr either on her, except more listings of books she illustrated, ranging from the 1930s to the 50s. But I think there is something in her style of drawing in those childrens book illustration and on the scarf that looks similar... I would say it was her.
    I couldn't find anything by way of period costumes in the movies Germain Lecomte did costumes for - at least according to IMDB. So maybe the scarf was just meant to be a kind of tribute to the history of fashion. What I did find out though was that Lecomte also participated in the Theatre de la Mode exhibition.

10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Oh Midge... did you see this video!??!

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I will keep looking. Please, if anyone thinks of anything, add your 2 cents. This scarf is a little bit of fashion history, I believe.

12. Midge

Oh, wow, thanks! Tonner reproduced some of the outfits for his Tyler Wentworth doll some years ago. I have two of those... :)

13. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

wow!!

14. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I found a reference to Henriette de Costier handpainted scarves.

"One year, as I was preparing to set out for their house, I realized that I had gifts for all save Alma's mother, Madame Clayburgh, who had just returned from Europe and who would almost certainly have a gift for me. As I puzzled what I should do, I recalled that Henriette De Costier had sent me a few years before a box of several of her hand-painted silk scarves. A cursory inspection had shown that they were a bit too feminine for me to wear on the Andover campus so I had put them away without fully unwrapping them. I hastily took one from the box, still in its original tissue paper and wrapped it in Christmas paper as well. As I anticipated, Madame had a present for me, so I presented mine to her. She unwrapped the outer, then the inner paper, exclaimed at the beauty of the scarf then unfolded it fully and cried, "And my initials, too." My heart stopped for a moment, then I saw the A.C. which stood as well for Alma Clayburgh as for Alston Chase.

In this blog, towards the end of section 5, titled Quips, Cranks, and a Few Wanton Wiles http://www.pa59ers.com/library/Chase/time2-5.html

Alston Chase is the author of the blog. If Henriette De Costier was gifting Alston Chase handpainted scarves personalised with her initials, then I think this scarf was a gift to Germaine LeComte from Henriette, and that's why Germaine's name is there. It's a personalisation, and Germaine is the owner and recipient, rather than the creator, of the scarf.

Whaddya think?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  15. Midge

16. Great story, Ruth! It makes a lot of sense.

17. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

omg!!!! What year is this approx? Wow. How did you find this?!!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  18. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It's beyond thrilling!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  19. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

A truly great story... as well as how did this kind of thing ever land here in New Mexico?

20. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member