1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assistance appreciated... Germaine LeComte Scarf

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bycinbyhand, Apr 3, 2017.

1. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Well, now I'm super confused about pricing. Date is late 30s, you think? Kind of a commemorative to Gone with the Wind maybe?

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Love this when we can get really into a piece and get the info on it!!!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I have goose bumps.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I couldn't tell when it was, from a quick glance the writer's memoirs seemed to be covering 30s to 60s, but if you read more you might be able to pin it down.

I found it by googling: "Henriette de costier" scarf

Using quotes often helps narrow down a search, and adding scarf brought up that blog near the top.

Great that you found a photo of the clayburghs!

So happy to have helped!

5. Retro Ruth

To me the colours look more 40s than 30s. It may not be commemorating anything, just an artist doing something fashion related for her friend/acquaintance the fashion designer.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I thought 40s originally... but the dresses on the ladies made me wonder.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

that you so so much. Now I' m wondering about price. I've never seen anything like. You?

8. Retro Ruth

9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I wish I were still in NYC... bet I could learn more taking it to FIT.

10. The lady in the crinoline looks more La Traviata than Scarlett. I think they're just historically based gowns. The Tudor outfit is highly inaccurate, but seems to be inspired by the English Renaissance.

11. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I guess they can't help point me in a direction as to... you know, a commemorative theme? I'm trying to link the info so far in that direction but maybe there's no enough info present to do so. Thanks!

12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

As mentioned earlier on this thread, the theme which I see is 3 centuries of fashion. The artists has chosen fantasy costumes from the 16oos, 1700s, and 1800s. I am not sure that there is a connecting theme, other than perhaps Ms. Lecomte did costumes similar, but surface research does not turn up any films on which she worked which took place in these time periods. It is also possible that it ties in somehow to the 1947 Cannes Film Festival in which she was involved. Sort of a tribute to costumes in film, with her name chosen as a well known (in France) costume designer.

The artwork looks VERY 1940s to me.

It is a really unusual find!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  13. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I thought 40s originally then got waylaid with the research that just blossomed. Pretty fun project, huh?

I will try to find her films, if possible, and keep digging. : ))

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Just a small aside... I was looking through an issue of L'Art et la Mode from spring 1948, searching for something else, and found two Lecomte designs shown in it... very romantic and definitely borrowing a bit from historical styles.
    lecomte2.jpg lecomte1.jpg The one on the left...

Retro Ruth likes this.
  15. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

yes!! I see it too!! How wonderful!!

Aren't the designs then so fab!??!

16. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Listed her finally and I thank you ALL so much for encouraging me and helping me think this one aloud. Thank you!!
    il_570xN.1183317156_9lh9.jpg

17. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Late to the party but how wonderful.
    Love her artistry.