1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating silk embroidered robe

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jenny, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

I found last 2 items from retiring collector's estate.
    I think this is from the 20s? The condition is pretty bad. I believe the material is rayon because it is kind rough.
    20170421_214254.jpg 20170421_214213.jpg 20170421_214310.jpg 20170421_214241.jpg

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Why are you calling it a silk robe when you think the material is rayon? Are you confusing fiber and weave?
    Marian

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is lovely. The fabric looks like silk crepe, but of course I would have to handle it to be more sure. It is hard to determine the era, as you show it hanging on a hanger. If you could perhaps lay it flat with the sleeves laid out we could get a better idea of the shape of this. It could be 1920s, could be later.

Jenny likes this.
  4. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Ahaha....this is what happen when I am half asleep and trying to write. I think it might be rayon crepe because the material is more rough than silk.

5. If it's rayon crepe, it's more likely to be '30s or '40s. I have one of these which has WW2 provenance, although mine has more elaborate embroidery, the style and colours are similar.

Jenny likes this.
  6. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Thank you!

Sorry, it took me a while. Here is the sleeve photo
    20170428_154015.jpg

7. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

If you can get a tiny snip of fabric from an inside seam, you can do a burn test and easily distinguish silk from rayon.