1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

I'm not sure if this is vintage at all or some sort of modern formal dress - say for a traditional Indian wedding or ceremony. I bought it anyhow - just in case. It measures 38-33-42 with a little stretch. The waist is 15" down from the shoulder. The hips were measured about 7" down from the waist. The only closure is snaps on the left shoulder (in pictures). The sleeves also have four snap closures each. It has a small slit in the skirt only on the left side, and the back of the skirt is longer than the front. Most of the seams are not left "unbound" but they are not overlocked. (I am no seamstress and still learning correct terminology on sewing techniques, so please correct me on anything!) I believe it is rayon. (?) I think the back neckline was originally a small "v" because the panel that is now there is roughly sewn in. The first few pictures show the dress both clipped and unclipped on my extra small dress form. It looks like there may have been a tag at some point. Please let me know if any other measurements or pictures would be helpful! Thanks! P.S. Please excuse the dog hair and messy house...sigh, haha.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is stunning and it looks like a crepe or maybe even a wool crepe, difficult to tell for sure.
    I see 1940s.

greatglenvintage likes this.
  3. greatglenvintage

Were seams finished this way in the 40s? Do you think the gold detailing is leather?

I see so many formal Indian dresses and tops in thrift stores that I initially walked past this one.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think it's late 30s, early 40s. And yes, I have seen this type trim in leather on 30s and 40s dresses. The studded decor is also correct for that time period. So are the sleeve headers and the finishes.

Jonathan likes this.
  5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a great dress. I also see late 1930s to early 1940s on this one. Looks like a rayon crepe. I bet this had a good label, too bad it was cut out.

7. greatglenvintage

I know! I'm hoping I can research some ads and catalogues to find something similar.

8. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Your instincts were excellent on picking up the dress. Looks very glamorous....great find!!!

9. Indeed: great find. I vote late '30s-early '40s and rayon crepe too.

10. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I've had similar gold leather like that on a 40s gown. Stunningly beautiful dress!