1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage on a budget

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Scarlet, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Scarlet

Scarlet Registered Guest

hi, im new to this forum, im a lover of the 1960s -70s! As you all know, purchasing vintage items can be pretty expensive as it can take a long time to find before being sold. Does anyone know of any websites or stores that sell cute vintage items for a lower price?
    Thank you

2. SweetheartSister

SweetheartSister Registered Guest

I agree with the above. I'm building up my vintage wardrobe slowly (mostly 1930s garments) and don't have a load of money to throw around, so I'm constantly scouring eBay and the charity shops in hope of finding a bargain. A couple of years ago I found a tulle 1930s evening dress in a charity shop for £30, probably worth around £300. You're right that it can take a long time - the key is to look frequently. 60s and 70s items come up more frequently in my opinion so I'm sure you'll find some lovely pieces soon. Good luck!

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You can look for sales on Etsy. Our shop is conducting one now as are many others because it's summer and we're getting ready for new stock.

: )

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Not sure where you are located but sometimes you can get pretty lucky at flea markets, garage sales, church bazaars or rummage sales. It takes time and patience and good luck, being at the right place at the right time!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree with all that has been said above. I have found a 30s dress too in a charity thrift shop. It may be not so easy to find vintage in thrift shops, at flea markets etc. - but then you've also got the thrill of the hunt. I for myself love that!

6. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

Good evening. I highly recommend checking out your local charity shops. You can find plenty of gems amoungst racks and for a fraction of the price. You can also search through garage and estate sales. If you're looking for some truly one- of- a- kind I'd try Ebay, Etsy or a vintage shop as items from the 70s/ earlier tend to get snatched up faster.

7. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

I find all my vintage at Salvation armies and good wills especially on family day (wednesdays) which is all half off. You just have to take the time to look I spend a couple hours in them just sifting, it's very rewarding when you finally find the gems. I read a lot about vintage and fashion history in my spare time this forum is really great also with helping you tune your eye for vintage. Labels are great help for me because I've become more savvy as time goes on to the different decades and their unique typography. I've shopped in wearhouses also and higher end thrift that have vintage sections but to me it's just not as rewarding when you know it's all vintage. I second Etsy as a great spot for vintage especially 60s and 70s. My shop has a lot of 60s and 70s since those are also my favorite decades :)