1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Victorian mourning jacket?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jul 21, 2017.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_1656.JPG IMG_1657.JPG IMG_1658.JPG IMG_1659.JPG IMG_1660.JPG IMG_1661.JPG IMG_1663.JPG Might this be a Victorian mourning jacket, or are they fancier than this? Or maybe a riding coat? There's not a hint of lace anywhere. I do think it's a woman coat since it appears to be cut to accentuate a woman's figure. Any insight? There appear to be many areas that once had stitching but now doesn't, as though it were altered at some point.

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

It is not a jacket, but is a bodice, the top of a 2 piece dress and would likely have had a matching skirt. The buttons may have been replaced over the years (not sure of course) as I would expect shank buttons for this garment (buttons with no through holes in front). Hard to date it exactly as it is laying down flat, but it appears to be late 1880s time period.

It certainly could have been worn by a lady while in mourning, but my guess is was not intended strictly for that purpose. People wore a lot of black clothing for all ocassions and purposes.

In the close up photo, it looks like silk faille.

acceber and StitchesandSnags like this.
  3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1665.JPG Fascinating! Thank you very much. I put it on my dress form to get better pics.

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Strange left over right opening. Looks like seams overcast by hand. Would this garment have been lined?

5. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I wondered that too, about a lining, or if something was worn under it as it seems it would be very uncomfortable worn as is.

Every seam is hand sewn along the fabric edges. Someone paid quite a bit of attention to detail.

I am posting more pics. There are two fabric loops sewn inside just along the bottom of the arm opening on both sides and I was wondering what the purpose of them might be.

IMG_1671.JPG IMG_1672.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

My guess is the loops are for hanging, but this period is not my area of expertise. Other thoughts, anyone?

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Not an expert on this period either, but regarding it not being lined... remember that ladies at that time would have worn a lot more underneath their clothes than we do today, so this wouldn't have been worn on bare skin anyway.

StitchesandSnags and acceber like this.
  8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

IMG_1675.JPG I got another pic of it laying flat. You can see a hint of the sleeve lining on both sides, and the loops along the underside of each arm hole, to give a better idea of where they are situated.

9. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

I thought this as well and I'm not experienced when it comes to earlier pieces like this.