1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Brocade Blouse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by greatglenvintage, Aug 12, 2017.

1. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

I'm having a bit of trouble dating this blouse. It has an Asian theme. One belt loop on the left with a matching sash. Not sure if there was ever another belt loop. Frog closures (at least I think that's what they're called) down the front. Very thick shoulder pads. Seems to be silk exterior (very shiny and smooth on the back) lined in very thin white silk that has started to shred in areas. No tags that I can find. Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: the website would only let me upload the pics below. The rest were "too large." I've never had that problem before...

Attached Files:

2. It may be part of a pajama set from the 40s. With the lining it is older than 70s.

greatglenvintage likes this.
  3. greatglenvintage

There are no labels.

4. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Yes I think it is from pajama set from 40's.

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Do you happen to have a picture of the shoulder pads?

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like a 40s pajama top to me as well.

7. Agree: sweet '40s pyjama top.

8. greatglenvintage

The shoulder pads are covered by the lining, but they are quite thick.

I have attached a picture of the lining.

Were thick shoulder pads common in pajamas in the 40s? Would women have slept in this, or was it meant more as lounge/around the house wear?

Attached Files:

9. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

Ooops. I thought I was on a different post - my bad! This does appear to be 40s - 50s. Shoulder pads were super popular in the 1940s due to wartime influence.

10. greatglenvintage

Thanks. I know shoulder pads were popular in the 40s...I was asking if they were common even in sleepwear.

11. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

From what I've seen they were pretty common.

12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My first thought was 1940s also. These look more what we used to call pyjamas (as opposed to pajamas). Nicole called it that as well. The difference in spelling was used to indicate their purpose. They were popular in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s for lounging, eating breakfast at home, casual entertaining at home with friends during the daytime, and of course there were also wonderful beach pyjamas for lounging at outdoor pools and ocean fun n' sun.

While your pyjama top was probably not worn for sleeping, it certainly could have been slept in if the owner wanted to. But no, large shoulder pads were not common in pajamas intended for sleeping. Maybe for breakfast in bed, as in a bed jacket, etc.

Yours is very attractive.

13. greatglenvintage

Thank you! I'm such a sucker for anything peach. I wish I had the matching pants!

14. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I totally agree with Barbara's comments You have the top of a fabulous two piece '40's lounging outfit- not meant to be worn to bed to sleep in!

15. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Worn lounging not for sleeping. Very sweet piece.