1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you help? Dating velvet dress "Dibari"

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lulu Poppins, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Lulu Poppins

Lulu Poppins Registered Guest

Hi,

I am not sure about the era of this dress. I think it may fit on 60s because of the pattern but the label seems quite "new", so maybe 80s? What do you think?
    It has an opening on the side of a leg and the zip closes in the middle of the back.
    It's sized as a 42 which would be as a 10 US Size but it's really as a size 6 US size / 38 EUR.

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Is it a plastic/nylon zipper (non-metal)? My first impression, with the elegantly simple silhouette, would be 1990s.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I think it could be even newer. I wore a very similar gown in 2002 but mine was not velvet.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree it looks rather contemporary. Can you tell us what type of velvet this is? Many velvet garments made in and after the 1990s were made of a lush looking stretch velvet. Does yours have any stretch?

It is lovely.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  5. I agree with the others.

Also: there should be more labels, can you please look down the side seams and show us photos if you find any?

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  6. Lulu Poppins

Hi Girls, I Will look at the other Labels. It's shows size 42 EUR, but two sizes less. A good cluebI didn't think about it's the zipper: It's made of plastic, not metal.
    It doesn't stitch, no lycra or similar fabric on It.
    I don't have it with me now, but I'll post pictures about the Labels and details today or tomorrow when I go to look for It.
    Thanks so much.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  8. Lulu Poppins

Oh, thank goodness I asked! :-S

Then it looks smaller than it is just because of the current trends where whe "should" be all thin...

So I won't sell it and I will keep it for me. I love it and was excited that it might be older but the tag made me think it might not.

Pinkcoke, I didn't know trade mark is able to check. I tryed to open the link but I couldn't. Might it be able for me too? If so, can you tell me which site is it? If it's able to check I might do it another time for some other garment.
    Thanks again

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

that is TESS the Trademark Search System for US trademarks. The little R in a circle symbol indicated the brand/name is a registered trademark. Using the care label if present to identify a country - it is best to search the trademark website of the original country first but not all of them work in English.
    the different countries have now colaborated to form the WIPO - World Intellectual Property Office where you can also search for trademarks issued worldwide.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  10. Lulu Poppins

Thank you so much. I'll look at it.