1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antique Chinese Work Outfit?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Apr 17, 2018.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi!
    I recently acquired what I believe to be a 1920s Chinese worker garment.
    Does anyone have any knowledge or expertise in this area?
    I did find this info: https://ninchanese.com/blog/2013/06/18/ancient-chinese-fashion-women-timeline/

The material is similar to a cotton linen chambray with silk ribbon and black silk accents. The shorts have a drop crotch and a drawstring tie. The top has is cross-over with two button closures - one of which is stamped 'Equipements Militaires' and there's an eye/hook closure.

Any help on this piece would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I would like to know more myself -- hopefully we'll get some opinions shortly.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Well, I am out of my element here. But wonder what it is about this garment that you feel indicates it may be from the 1920s?

The buttons are throwing me off. I have owned and seen shirts, military knock off styles sold as casual wear, made in the 1970s and maybe even early 1980s with those same buttons.

I would like to learn more about this garment myself.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  4. DaisyandStella

Hi Barbara and thanks for your response! Yes i'm stumped as well - the fabric makes me think this is older than a knock off, but i could be worn. I also purchased from an estate indicating it was from the 1920s. The drop crotch also makes me think of 1920s but then again, that has come back around as well. If only I could have spoken with the original owner!

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

An estate of everyday Chinese clothing went through my hands about 20-25 years ago. The pieces are now in the Museum for Textiles in Toronto. Most had been made in China and were worn by a family that emigrated to the U.S. in the 1920s. Some of the clothes were made in the traditional style but in the U.S., using American cloth and buttons this outfit reminds me of that...

DaisyandStella likes this.
  6. DaisyandStella

Thank you Jonathan!